The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

borg warner vs garret

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfriddle

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2007
syracuse, Utah
The dsm world seems to be caught up on Garret turbochargers. I hear alot of possitive feed back on them. However i'm not sold on ball bearing vs. non. In drag racing the positive doesn't justify the cost for me. I'm not saying that ball bearing isn't better because it will always spool faster but really how much 400-500 rpm mabey? With that being said what is your opinion. I think i'm set on journal unless someone can convince me otherwise. My options have been narrowed between garrets gt4202 and borg warners S372 or S374. In NHRA Sport RWD i'm not limited to a 72mm inducer so im leaning towards a 74mm which would narrow it down between the 4202 and the S374. Has anyone run the borg warner? The numbers suggest that between journals the borg makes more power on top and spools better. Any opinions would be great

Journal bearing turbos especially Borg Warner are a lot stronger and can take more abuse than dual ball bearing, but you're right they spool a little slower than the Garrett duals. If you're still considering the journal bearing turbos I'd look into the Holset turbos original made for diesel trucks which can outspool the Garrett by a consider amount RPM.

I think much of the dsm crowd is moving away from garrett and towards holset and borg warner because of the durability. Definitely Borg Warners ETT turbos are putting up great numbers and are very durable cartridges

I am tuning my S256 tonight, I'll let you know what I think. I'm not anywhere close to the hp range you are looking at but I'll let you know how this thing pulls.

I know a guy who's running a borg warner, not sure which one, but he took me for a drive and WOOOOOW! Ridiculous power on 22psi, we were sliding sideways from one shift to another on a awd with a welded center diff, good tires too. Most unbelievable car I've ever ridden in.

Man everyone here is bashing on Garrett. I stand by my garrett GT37R! Put it in a 4G64 and made over 600 street HP on 92 octane. and the spool was great too.

you can't "bash" garrett. Garrett offers some amazing turbos. They are excellent quality and a great value. Each turbo will suit different needs. BW and Garrett just make different products. Some people will do better on one, others will do better on the other.

I don't see any garrett bashing? I think there an incredible product! I do think though that other turbo companies have take the edge on there journal bearing garrett counterparts. I was sold on the ball bearing 4202R until I did the research. I'n my application (full drag racing) I don't see how its cost effective . There are better spoolin turbo's out there to be had. Thats not to say that garrett hasn't proven there worthiness!! Just look at the 1/4 mile times and you can see how effective they are. I want to see what a borg warner of similar size will do in comparison. Hopefully someone here has tested it out. Didn't figure I'd be the first but the more I think about it the S374 looks like the way to go.

This is what a Bullseye (Borg Warner) S374 looks like in a DSM engine bay....I don't think you'll be disappointed. Go with the Borg!!

Attachments

• New Laser Setup.jpg
    New Laser Setup.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,305
This is what a Bullseye (Borg Warner) S374 looks like in a DSM engine bay....I don't think you'll be disappointed. Go with the Borg!!

Looks badass and very clean! What kind of hp/times are you aiming for? What does the car weigh? I see your profile isnt much up to date(stock 1g mafLOL)

Looks badass and very clean! What kind of hp/times are you aiming for? What does the car weigh? I see your profile isnt much up to date(stock 1g mafLOL)

Well......we're aiming high with this one. We're shooting for high 8's and in the neighborhood of 1000 horsepower. We're working hard on the setup. If we should happen to reach that goal, then that's great! But if we don't, then that's okay, too, because I still have our old setup that we went 9's with:thumb:

By the way, I guess I'm sloppy on updating my profile. I'll update it once we get the dyno numbers up!

Since the Borg Warner is a larger turbo than we've used in the past (on THIS car), we're using last season's engine while on the dyno in case we make any "tuning errors". We have a fresh bullet sitting on the bench waiting for it's turn in the engine bay. We plan on having the car on the dyno by the end of next week. There are a couple of bugs to work on with this. Just last week the entire engine bay was naked! So we worked some serious late nights to get to where we are; we redid pretty much EVERYTHING!

Since the Borg Warner is a larger turbo than we've used in the past (on THIS car), we're using last season's engine while on the dyno in case we make any "tuning errors". We have a fresh bullet sitting on the bench waiting for it's turn in the engine bay. We plan on having the car on the dyno by the end of next week. There are a couple of bugs to work on with this. Just last week the entire engine bay was naked! So we worked some serious late nights to get to where we are; we redid pretty much EVERYTHING!

Sounds like a fun week!! Keep me posted on your progress you'll be up and running before I am. Incredible car!!!

I wouldn't feed that from the head like you are. The manufacture says to feed from the OFH.

The fastest street FWD car in the world runs a BW S372 and runs 8's on gasoline.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back