The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Blue Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbizmo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Salinas, California
Hey most of you guys know i have a 420a turbo well my question is sometime when i step on the gas i see blue/white smoke come out of the muffler and that only happens sometimes but, also sometimes when i am driving my car hesitates and i give it gas and it feels like nothing is happening and all i see is blue smoke and then all of a sudden the car boost pike then the smoke goes away so any idea why this happens.

Your car is phucked LOLz. The blue smoke is usually an indicator that you're burning oil. White smoke with a hint of coolant smell from the exhaust is a sign of a blown headgasket lots of times. You should hope you don't have both haha. Maybe just your turbo sucks balls, was it a used ebay turbo or something of the sort? You could possibly be mixing coolant/oil so I would check that. Also, a compression test couldn't hurt. Did you do one before bolting on your turbo setup? How many times have you over boosted it...it only takes once.

EDIT: Are you leaking oil from anywhere you can see? Is your return line possibly kinked causing oil to seep past the seals in the turbo?

Your car is phucked LOLz. The blue smoke is usually an indicator that you're burning oil. White smoke with a hint of coolant smell from the exhaust is a sign of a blown headgasket lots of times. You should hope you don't have both haha. Maybe just your turbo sucks balls, was it a used ebay turbo or something of the sort? You could possibly be mixing coolant/oil so I would check that. Also, a compression test couldn't hurt. Did you do one before bolting on your turbo setup? How many times have you over boosted it...it only takes once.

EDIT: Are you leaking oil from anywhere u can see? Is your return line possibly kinked causing oil to seep past the seals in the turbo?
well yesterday I went under my car and it appears that oil is coming out threw the return line also it usually does that on long runs or when i don't use my car that much and the turbo was New. also what i saw last time was that on one of the spark plugs oil was coming out of it the far right. :cry:

What do you mean coming out through the return line :confused: Is it kinked, and oil is leaking out at the flange where it bolts to the turbo? Has it melted against your downpipe or gotten close to it...what kind of return line (ss, rubber, etc)? Take off your downpipe from the turbo and check to see if there is oil in there that has blown past the seals in the turbo. Also, as I said before...it wouldn't be a bad idea for a compression test. Who knows, maybe you're lucky and it's just a spark plug tube seal.

What do you mean coming out through the return line :confused: Is it kinked, and oil is leaking out at the flange where it bolts to the turbo? Has it melted against your downpipe or gotten close to it...what kind of return line (ss, rubber, etc)? Take off your downpipe from the turbo and check to see if there is oil in there that has blown past the seals in the turbo. Also, as I said before...it wouldn't be a bad idea for a compression test. Who knows, maybe you're lucky and it's just a spark plug tube seal.

ss rubber yeah I am going to get a compression test. How much are the compression test. i am thinking of buying a head gasket will that prevent oil from coming out of the spark plugs?

You can buy yourself a compression tester from walmart or what not for pretty cheap, or you can probably rent one at a parts store for a minimal fee. A headgasket is definitely not just gonna fix all your oil leak. If you have blowby from the cylinders, then that's the piston rings that will need replacing. The compression test will help further diagnose what parts will be needed instead of just buying random stuff...thus why I recommended it.

What do u mean your hose is ss rubber? Is it like a gates high temp silicone cloth what not hose, or a stainless steel braided line? If not the latter, did you see if it might have burned near or melted by the downpipe? Does it have any kinks? Did you check to see if oil had leaked to the turbine side of the seals on your turbo?

You can buy yourself a compression tester from walmart or what not for pretty cheap, or you can probably rent one at a parts store for a minimal fee. A headgasket is definitely not just gonna fix all your oil leak. If you have blowby from the cylinders, then that's the piston rings that will need replacing. The compression test will help further diagnose what parts will be needed instead of just buying random stuff...thus why I recommended it.

What do u mean your hose is ss rubber? Is it like a gates high temp silicone cloth what not hose, or a stainless steel braided line? If not the latter, did you see if it might have burned near or melted by the downpipe? Does it have any kinks? Did you check to see if oil had leaked to the turbine side of the seals on your turbo?

The hose is from napa its not ss my bad its rubber with cloth inside or something but no oil leaks near the turbo i am guessing its leaking from the oil pan ### i didnt get the flange welded on i used JB WELD WTF not a good idea but where its leaking oil i quite dont know where ### where the feedline i saw that on top of it there was oil but it was not the T i look close to the head on the bottom of the intake but i cant really find where the oil leak is coming down from. so that would really be the only leak that i dont know where its coming from so any idea but 4 sures i know oil is coming out trew the spark pluggs beacuse when i unplugged one of them it was full of oil.

One of your plug well seals is bad. Replace them all along with a new valve cover gasket. The rocker cover gasket is usually sold with the plug well seals included, as a set. Check the torque on your plugs, one of them may be loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back