The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Blown Sensor Ground in ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
So I blew a sensor ground in my ECU and I'm not exactly sure whats causing the sensor ground to blow. I've decided I'm going to try and repair it myself because I know it might blow again, until I can figure out what is causing it.

What size wire is the sensor ground? I've read you don't want it to large otherwise you could damage other parts of the ECU from it not blowing. Is it 26 Gauge Hookup Wire?

Also could grounding all my gauges, Boost, Oil Pressure, Gauge Cluster Lights and wideband to the cigarette lighter ground cause this? I was going to disconnect all my grounds and hook my AEM Wideband Ground directly to the chassis, Where is the best place to do this? This way I can see if its still blowing.

I should mention Before noticing the sensor ground in the ECU was blown I also had a blown IAT sensor in the 2g MAS. Could this be related, possibly the IAT sensor is shorting out?

Thanks for any help!

Grounding the wideband to the same spot as other things is bad because it can affect the wideband's ability to read properly. I wouldn't ground anything "important" to the same spot as anything else.

Grounding the wideband to the same spot as other things is bad because it can affect the wideband's ability to read properly. I wouldn't ground anything "important" to the same spot as anything else.

Very true, I'm not sure what I was thinking but I will definitely wire the ground for the WB separately.

Shorting any of the sensor lines could blow the ECU sensor ground but The most common in my experience is miswiring either of the O2 sensors.

I would use a piece of 30 gauge wire wrap wire.

https://www.amazon.com/B-30-1000-30...rd_wg=qbqOG&psc=1&refRID=0QJE46WYA2AEMR9AN9HR

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1446

Thanks, thats what I will go with.

I've read some of your post on other threads dealing with this issue, thats what lead me to my Wideband install possibly causing this. I will double and triple check the wiring before putting power through it.

If the IAT continues to blow I suspect I have a short somewhere in that wire path causing my problem with both sensor ground and going through MAS's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back