The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Billet compressor wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone used these billet wheels yet? Did they change/update the aero to take advantage of the stronger composition and get more flow or did they just copy the cast wheel aero design (no real gain, will just look "shiny" LOL)?

I know there are a couple of people on here running it, and by a couple I am being literal, I think about 2 people. Check this thread
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/421158-20g-td06-hp-record.html

I want to run one, but cant justify the cost of it. I message whoever owns snail turbo on facebook and he offered me one at 200. I was planning on getting the 20g and 3071 wheel.

This made me laugh hard enough to almost choke on my coffee... ROFL

LOL glad you didnt choke:thumb:

If these give the same kind of results as the Kamak wheels do KAMAK STS TD05H-20g GTX Billet in a Mitsubishi EVO 8 - YouTube you could turn some bigger turbos into some serious DD/auto-x/street course contenders!

I have built a few turbos with parts from them. The billet wheels are strong and very well made. I had a thrust bearing failure and the wheel hit the housing and was still in very good shape.

I have built a few turbos with parts from them. The billet wheels are strong and very well made. I had a thrust bearing failure and the wheel hit the housing and was still in very good shape.

Are there any gains with the turbo snail wheels like there is with the kamaks? Or did they just copy the oem aero from the cast wheel and use billett just for cosmetics?

No the 20g wheel billet is straight edged blades and the hub is way smaller. The 3076 11-blade is extended tip i also got it reversed for a EVO. Kamak Kinugawa and Snail turbo are the same parts. I saw 50lbs/min on the TD06H-3076 11-blade at 29psi on a 2.1L EVO. Basically it was a RED with a 11-blade GTX wheel and extended tip. And i saw about 45lbs/min on the 20G at 27psi on a 2.0L. Both cars are 93 octane with low timing numbers.

No the 20g wheel billet is straight edged blades and the hub is way smaller. The 3076 11-blade is extended tip i also got it reversed for a EVO. Kamak Kinugawa and Snail turbo are the same parts. I saw 50lbs/min on the TD06H-3076 11-blade at 29psi on a 2.1L EVO. Basically it was a RED with a 11-blade GTX wheel and extended tip. And i saw about 45lbs/min on the 20G at 27psi on a 2.0L. Both cars are 93 octane with low timing numbers.

That's sick...I think a 20g with a billet compressor and one of their 7 or 11 blade turbines would be a monster spooler with great flow numbers...

That's sick...I think a 20g with a billet compressor and one of their 7 or 11 blade turbines would be a monster spooler with great flow numbers...

Whats a 7 blade turbine? TD05H has 12. TD06H has 12 TD06H4 has 11.....

Those flow numbers look the same compared to a non-billet wheel.

the 3071 is what I am working on right now mated with a TD06h4 wheel, I am going to replace my 20g with it.

Whats a 7 blade turbine? TD05H has 12. TD06H has 12 TD06H4 has 11.....

Those flow numbers look the same compared to a non-billet wheel.

the 3071 is what I am working on right now mated with a TD06h4 wheel, I am going to replace my 20g with it.

It's one of their designs. I believe it's 7 or 9 blades...I'll have to look on their website again

Last edited:
agentorange313 said:
Those flow numbers look the same compared to a non-billet wheel

Isn't the point of billet to reduce spool time? Not increase numbers? correct me if im wrong. I've been looking into billet wheels lately as well but I am having a hard time justifying the cost too.... just trying to read up and decide if its worth it or not.

Isn't the point of billet to reduce spool time? Not increase numbers? correct me if im wrong. I've been looking into billet wheels lately as well but I am having a hard time justifying the cost too.... just trying to read up and decide if its worth it or not.

You are completely right. It is about reducing the mass of the compressor so it spools faster.

We were talking about blade design earlier and my comment was guided toward that. What I meant was that they are a copy of MHI compressor but just billet. "Gains" in the sentance below is a pretty generic statement, spool or flow? So I just threw my two cents in there.

Are there any gains with the turbo snail wheels like there is with the kamaks? Or did they just copy the oem aero from the cast wheel and use billett just for cosmetics?

You are completely right. It is about reducing the mass of the compressor so it spools faster.

We were talking about blade design earlier and my comment was guided toward that. What I meant was that they are a copy of MHI compressor but just billet. "Gains" in the sentance below is a pretty generic statement, spool or flow? So I just threw my two cents in there.

Some billet wheels have extended blade designs or different aero that takes advantage of the stronger material to achieve more flow (In most cases, the hub can be machined smaller so the wheel itself has more overall surface area which results on more flow). In one of these threads/posts I believe someone had a TD05H 20g log flowing 49lb/min, that seems like decent gain to me. Even having a fast(er) spooling TD05H 20G with the same flow rate seems worth it. The youtube clip with the kamak wheel in the EVO shows basically no lag in 3rd gear...awesome.

Some billet wheels have extended blade designs or different aero that takes advantage of the stronger material to achieve more flow (In most cases, the hub can be machined smaller so the wheel itself has more overall surface area which results on more flow). In one of these threads/posts I believe someone had a TD05H 20g log flowing 49lb/min, that seems like decent gain to me. Even having a fast(er) spooling TD05H 20G with the same flow rate seems worth it. The youtube clip with the kamak wheel in the EVO shows basically no lag in 3rd gear...awesome.

not 200+ worth it for the compressor wheel. I mean its arguable, I cant justify spending that much for a wheel that is outdated. Maybe if it was the 68HTA wheel, its a design of its own.

EVO4-9 turbos are a twinscroll design, there is a significant spool gain from this set up.

I'm glad this thread came up. I've been eye-balling those billet wheels for months! I even e-mailed Kamak and Snail about them. I'm itching to try one.

And is it to my understanding some of you are stuffing a 3076 compressor in a 16g style housing? That's impressive. I've heard about someone doing it with a 60-1 wheel.

For those of you going to a TD06H4 turbine, which turbine housing are you using?

I see.

I am sorta leaning towards picking one up in a couple weeks....

not 200+ worth it for the compressor wheel. I mean its arguable, I cant justify spending that much for a wheel that is outdated. Maybe if it was the 68HTA wheel, its a design of its own.
I hear you on that, for most it may not be worth it. For me personally, any way to improve my spool time/top end ratio is worth it to me. While I know 350awhp has been had on smaller turbos, a TD05H 20G will make it easier to get to there and will probably handle it better on a day-to day basis since it wont be running at it's max all the time like a smaller turbo would have to. If these billet wheels net me a few hundred rpm quicker spool time while maintaining or even improving the flow of a 20G it is worth it to me. While it may be more expensive to have one of the forum members build a 20G for me using these wheels instead of just grabbing a TD05H 20G, it is still significantly cheaper then buying a new FP HTA wheel turbo, or something similar.

EVO4-9 turbos are a twinscroll design, there is a significant spool gain from this set up.
You are absolutely correct in that statement. I even considered that after I posted it, but forget to go back and reword/mention it in my statement. It is not fair or wise to expect the same result from a single scroll turbo, but I still think the gains would be quite noticeable and make you smile.

I'm glad this thread came up. I've been eye-balling those billet wheels for months! I even e-mailed Kamak and Snail about them. I'm itching to try one.

And is it to my understanding some of you are stuffing a 3076 compressor in a 16g style housing? That's impressive. I've heard about someone doing it with a 60-1 wheel.

For those of you going to a TD06H4 turbine, which turbine housing are you using?

I am pretty sure the largest compressor that we can fit in a TD05 cover is a 3071.
I plan on using a 6cm housing machined for a TD06H wheel.

I am pretty sure the largest compressor that we can fit in a TD05 cover is a 3071.
I plan on using a 6cm housing machined for a TD06H wheel.

Wow, talk about lighting fast spool LOL...don't expect much on the top end though, that housing will even choke the top end on a 14b.
I think I'd do a 3" down-firing compressor cover, billet compressor wheel, 9 blade Kamak STS turbine wheel and 7cm housing. KILLER 20G right there :)

Last edited:

the billet 20g from snail and kinugawa are different designs. the snail blade has straight leading edge. the kinugawa has a swept leading edge.

it also looks like kamak 20g gtx is the new killer with 5/5 blade design and taller blades

the selection of billet wheels is heating up to say the least

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/566783939/KAMAK_STS_TD06H_20GTX_AR_7cm.html

with research it appears all three turbine sizes are available in the sts 9 blade. td05h, td6sl2, and td06h. I can see the 5h working well, but I wonder how the bigger sizes work. seems they might be laggy???

the billet 20g from snail and kinugawa are different designs. the snail blade has straight leading edge. the kinugawa has a swept leading edge.
Unless there's something else going on with the design of the wheel, wouldn't the snail turbo suffer from surge problems with the flat leading edges?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back