The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best way to get controll arm Bushings out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolN

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2003
Coventry, Rhode_Island
Im doing the prothane bushing kit in my 2g. What is the best way to get the controll arm bushings out without using a shop press?? I tried pushing them out using some pipe and a vice and all that did was bend the pole us use to tighten the vise!! Anyone got any ideas or am I going to have to take them somewhere to get them pressed out. :cry:

It took a 50 ton press to get mine out. Most machine shops will do this for you for like $10 bucks.

Luckily I have a press at my disposal but I have heard of people torching out the rubber and then hacksawing the collar in half and pulling it out once a cut is made through it.

Im doing the prothane bushing kit in my 2g. What is the best way to get the controll arm bushings out without using a shop press?? I tried pushing them out using some pipe and a vice and all that did was bend the pole us use to tighten the vise!! Anyone got any ideas or am I going to have to take them somewhere to get them pressed out. :cry:

Read my last post in the thread that was linked.

Luckily I have a press at my disposal but I have heard of people torching out the rubber and then hacksawing the collar in half and pulling it out once a cut is made through it.

Exactly what I did. Worked out much easier especially if you dont have access to a press like I'm sure most people dont.

ive done the burning and cutting technique- works good, takes a while but saves you money. If you can get your hands on a jig saw and metal blades thats even faster than a hand hack saw, just be careful not to cut too deep.

O/A Torch or a cheap old propane torch works fine for burning the bushings out. Make sure you have plenty of fresh air, the smoke from the bushings is really nasty.

I used the stubby handled hacksaw that came with my Stanley HD bow hacksaw to cut the steel sleeves out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back