The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Head Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoXracing82085

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2010
Lynchburg, Virginia
Currently doing a 2.3 stroker build. What is the best head gasket on the market and what size would I need to get. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I have little knowledge pertaining to such. Thank you all for your help!

Swapping 2.3L into your 96 GS? Just curious...

You need to make sure your head gasket bore size is correct... Just thought I should mention that since you said you don't know much about this stuff.

Best HG for your setup somewhat depends on how much material is removed in resurfacing the head and block surfaces. Head gasket thickness can help keep timing geometry correct, right? A factor to consider if nothing else.

Swapping 2.3L into your 96 GS? Just curious...

You need to make sure your head gasket bore size is correct... Just thought I should mention that since you said you don't know much about this stuff.

Best HG for your setup somewhat depends on how much material is removed in resurfacing the head and block surfaces. Head gasket thickness can help keep timing geometry correct, right? A factor to consider if nothing else.

Sorry for the confusion, I've tried to update my info. I just returned to the DSM world. I sold my 96 GS and now I have a 95 GST. I appreciate your help and input! I have a contact a co-worker give me to get quote on resurfacing the head and block I have.

They, of course, will remove as little as possible for the flatness or finish your gasket requires. Composite gaskets like oem work well, and are more forgiving to minor flatness and surface finish imperfections. Often times you can check the block, and if it falls in spec, you don't have to machine it. Same goes for the head.

If you want to go with an upgraded MLS gasket (multi-layered steel) then you will need excellent surface finish and flatness (as in freshly machined), In those cases you have to remove material until its flat and proper finish, so it can require quite a bit of material to be removed. You can compensate for the change in the engine's geometry, somewhat, with gasket selection.

So what are your goals going to be in the GST? Congrats on the MASSIVE upgrade by the way.

They, of course, will remove as little as possible for the flatness or finish your gasket requires. Composite gaskets like oem work well, and are more forgiving to minor flatness and surface finish imperfections. Often times you can check the block, and if it falls in spec, you don't have to machine it. Same goes for the head.

If you want to go with an upgraded MLS gasket (multi-layered steel) then you will need excellent surface finish and flatness (as in freshly machined), In those cases you have to remove material until its flat and proper finish, so it can require quite a bit of material to be removed. You can compensate for the change in the engine's geometry, somewhat, with gasket selection.

So what are your goals going to be in the GST? Congrats on the MASSIVE upgrade by the way.

Well, I really haven't thought about any goals to be honest. Other than saving the miles and money on gas with my 2014 Tundra. I bought this hoping it was going to be a quick fix for $600, but that wasn't the case. Initially thought it had lifter tick. I replaced the old lifters with the upgraded ones but the results were the same. When revving the motor to 2k, the motor still ticked. When hitting 3k, I can't describe the sound, but the motor stalled. However, what really made me get into building the motor was a guy I know sell his car and he wanted to pitch in his 2.3 block with Wiseco piston heads all for $400. I have nothing but time to kill. I'm just a single dude with a dog and we both stay in the garage and chill.

Last edited:
I'm just a single dude with a dog and we both stay in the garage and chill.
Me too. :hellyeah:

But it sounds like you aren't out to set any records, so a composite head gasket and standard ARP head studs will be plenty. Good luck with the car. This site has a ton of good information in it. Pay close attention to the source of the information though.*

* I am not a not a reliable source of anything.

Me too. :hellyeah:

But it sounds like you aren't out to set any records, so a composite head gasket and standard ARP head studs will be plenty. Good luck with the car. This site has a ton of good information in it. Pay close attention to the source of the information though.*

* I am not a not a reliable source of anything.

Thank you! I really appreciate it and I definitely will!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back