The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Best Bolt-on turbo with pump gas for most power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I haven't really posted an update on this, so guess it's time I should. I HAD used an 8 blade Holset HX35 with a T3 .70 a/r BEP housing. Had a cheap ebay manifold I was hoping to get me by for a bit. BUT, it cracked within about a month's time. Anyway, ran a 7.8 in the 1/8th at 21 psi, bogging terribly cause I had just finished my awd conversion and a tune just to get me by, and had a huge boost leak at the compressor housing, and no practice launching on awd setup. The turbo was great overall though other than the boost leak at the compressor housing. Still have it sitting in my garage but wanna upgrade to a larger turbo.

I have the car down now cause it spun the #1 rod bearing and have to rebuild the bottom end and gonna have the head checked out cause the piston hit the bottom of the head. I've been pretty wishy washy on selecting a new turbo (obviously) but I had been leaning strongly towards a PTE 6466 with a T3 housing. But manifolds are either expensive, heavy, crack, have to worry about underhood temps, etc. Was gonna get an ERL but then read one of the reviews about it and that basically turned me off to getting a turbo with a T3 housing. That was the only one I was interested in for T3 manifolds.

The only bolt-on turbo I like is the Forced Performance housing since the actual housing is larger than other Mitsu housings. So gonna pull the trigger tonight and go ahead and buy the FP manifold and I'll be getting a Dsm86 turbo to bolt up to it. I've read some good stuff about them. Bottom end is gonna be an aluminum rod 2.3L motor and JAM is gonna machine/clearance and assemble it. FFWD currently has my crank to get it butchered. Just waiting on taxes to hopefully finish the rest, if not all of the build. Just haven't posted much overall cause I hate being so wishy washy but anyway, this is my "current" plan. Lol.

Yeah, I've spoken with him about it....and others. But I won't have steel rods either. I'll have aluminum. And he's the only one I know of that's had this problem.....that I know of. Anywho, I know people out there that run big power with this crank and aren't having this problem. It might be a 50/50 chance I guess, kinda like getting crankwalk. Sure there's maybe a horsepower limit to this, but there's no exact "magic" number. Even still, if it's balanced, I really don't see the issue. It's the edges of the counter weights. Not the center where the strength of the crank is, and I'd imagine having it balanced with the whole assembly would be rather important. However, I'm no expert. Just my assumptions. But the butchered crank is another thread entirely anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back