The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BEP hx40 housing different

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfister11

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2010
clinton, Missouri
i have an hx40 with a 76x64mm turbine wheel.. BUT the tip is ~12.5mm most common tip size ive seen is 10.3mm. Now i have had an old t3 .55 ar BEP housing laying around for a while.. i put this turbo in it and it fits perfect.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

so i decided to buy a new DSM flange housing and this is my problem.

the tip is too long and it sits on the turbine wheel before it seats all the way.

ive contacted BEP and they said they have never changed their profiles and gave me shit about my turbo..i sent my housing back to where i bought it and they checked with with numerous other ones but im not sure if they checked the right measurement because they didnt understand that the diameters were right, etc etc..

if anyone has any information as to WHY my old housing fits and my new one doesnt would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if someone could do some measurements for me so i can see which one of these housings is the oddball.

new housing depth to the radius between inducer and exducer

old housing depth.. these are not 100% accurate measurements but you get the idea

Last edited:
I've not run into any issues with fitment....I've also never seen a 76/64 turbine with that tip height; the 76/67 turbine has a taller tip height but you'd never get it into that housing being the exducer is 3mm larger.

hmm well i have an idea why my turbo is oddball. but that doesnt explain why i have 2 BEP housings that are machined different..

not that i know of. i bougth from the person who had it in an hx40.. had it sitting for a while.. doesnt look to be machined since its original machining.. this turbo is one from BAE... dont bash but giving it a shot.. its 67x99 compressor and those turbine specs.. the shaft size is hx52 and the chra is a hell of a lot lighter

Well regardless, it's based on the H2D frame. Interesting that BAE would sell a "drop in" upgrade for a HX40 which has a larger tip height and clearly doesn't fit directly in place of a HX40 turbine.

I'm definitely on-board to see how a 67/99 compressor flows in the small .55 housing. If the turbine wheel doesn't snap off from the exhaust restriction, these things are definitely well-built. :thumb:

LOL yeah im hoping for not a disaster.. but curious to see what it would do.. i have everything to make this works that flows good.. if it is very restrictive ill have to upgrade everthing.. but question 2.. why are my housings different LOL. a measurement from someone elses would be nice

Justin im going to get this new housing machined to fit this turbo. What kind of clearance needs to be between the wheel and housing? Also after further inspection it looks like this older housing HAS been machined just for the taller tip wheel..what are the odds that I would get that housing and try to fit this turbo and it does.. o well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back