The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

belt squeek and gets super hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM-Hottie

10+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
bought another 99 GSX, replaced the alternator it was shot, put everything together and the belt squeaks and it gets really hot. when i let off the gas the power steering pulley stops moving for a min then starts moving again...any ideas?:aha:

Belts aren't tight enough? What gets really hot? The belt or the car? If it's the belt, its possible its slipping on the pulley. The friction causes it to get hot, along with that's what causes the squealing noise.

My power steering pump did that when i first got the car, belts loose. If anything its shot. Mine was all the way tight on the tensioner and still made noise/skipped because it was so old and stretched out. Also make sure nothing is rubbing the belts and that they're on track =), Where abouts portland are you?:rocks:

found little metal bushings on the alt where the big pivot bolt goes through and it wasn't tight enough so we are getting the alt back on and seeing if that fixes it.

as far as the pulley stopping when i let off the gas.....any ideas? or would the loose belt cause that?

I'm off 122nd Powell area, and the pulley stopping is the belt skipping, on the side of the power steering pump behind the pulley those are 2 14mm bolts to break free and see if its all the way pulled back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back