1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Battery drain overnight

Posted by DsmMickey, Dec 17, 2015

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Ace Race Parts
  1. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I agree with most of what you said, especially checking running and not. One should also check with it above idle rpm.

However, if you have a battery reading 12.2v (that's 40% charge) from sitting overnight alone, you probably have a draw. Unless you make 20+ 5 mile trips in a day, you should never have a battery below 12.5v.

I just bought a brand new adv. Gold agm from sears, got home and tested it, 12.3v. Put a 15 amp charge on it, boom, 15.5v. would draw down to 10.1v with a 200a load after about 10 sec, batt was sulfated. Took it back and exchanged it, and this was a batt manufactured in November.

I don't put up with mediocre readings from electrical systems. If there's low or bad readings, I found out why and where.
    Identify, isolate and eliminate, haha

Street Build 179  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. 91Bomb

91Bomb Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2003
    US, New Jersey
    If brand new battery is 12.5-12.7v, how is 12.2v 40% less?

if I see 12.0v on my older battery after not starting car in a few days but it cranks right over + starts I'm not too worried.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  3. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Because 6v is not 50% life. There are 6 cells in a battery, each at 2.1v. When you take out total voltage to 12.2v, you lose a massive potential to "push" current.

And I apologize, 12.2v is actually closer to 60%

Here is a good reference that is close to accurate

Street Build 179  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. 98eclipse2015

98eclipse2015 Proven Member

Joined Jun 6, 2015
    tigard, Oregon
    the battery is new and so are the terminals it turned out to be a bad alternator took my car in to get my new alternator tested along with my old one and yup turned out it was a bad one.

5. JPringels

JPringels Probationary Member

Joined Sep 21, 2015
    Rockford, Illinois
    currently having the same issue with my 96 TSi, replaced battery, terminals and ground wires and ring terminals, i get dashlights, key dinger and courtesy lights but no crank. jumped it with the charger and it started just fine, ran back into the car and now my battery light is on (wasnt before, with the same issue) think im going to dive into taking the alternator off after work and have it tested. i pulled the battery out of it and put it in my daily and started right up no fuss this morning. so i know the problem is not the battery but something drawing amps on it,

6. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    If it won't crank but you have power to other things then you either have a weak battery or poor connections in the large battery cables (high resistance drops too much voltage so not enough voltage at starter terminals). May even be the cable itself.

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  7. 98eclipse2015

Joined Jun 6, 2015
    tigard, Oregon
    i had a battery drain that was killing my battery i fixed that for the most part. mine ended up being the keyhole light i just took the bulb out LOL

8. JPringels

JPringels Probationary Member

Joined Sep 21, 2015
    Rockford, Illinois
    As soon as I get paid Friday and have the time, am gonna dive into it

9. 98eclipse2015

Joined Jun 6, 2015
    tigard, Oregon
    it was the battery I have a red top now