The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Trans HELP NOW ### Experts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys, so my hg was blown, pulled the head and rebuilt it. Did not touch the trans at all.

Well get the car running, motor sounds great...well problem. Trans will go in P,R,N,D,2,1..but not run properly.

In Reverse it doesn't MOVE! And in Drive it stays in 1st gear. I have the road surge box, and even with that, it stays in 1st gear. Any ideas?!

It looks like a sensor might have some wires "pulled out" slightly, so maybe? What else to check? Cable linkage is fine, all plugs are connected to my knowledge.

Hey guys, so my hg was blown, pulled the head and rebuilt it. Did not touch the trans at all.

Well get the car running, motor sounds great...well problem. Trans will go in P,R,N,D,2,1..but not run properly.

In Reverse it doesn't MOVE! And in Drive it stays in 1st gear. I have the road surge box, and even with that, it stays in 1st gear. Any ideas?!

It looks like a sensor might have some wires "pulled out" slightly, so maybe? What else to check? Cable linkage is fine, all plugs are connected to my knowledge.
No reverse is usualy the O ring is missing above your valve body.
If you have drive in N the 1st gear pack plates & clutches are bent
& the forward gearing will lockup.
Cheers !

^^ I didnt touch any of that at all. All i did was pull the head off the car. The jack stands were no where near the tranny.

Where abouts is the "valve body" you are talking about? I have no experience with transmission.

And what i have is.... it will drive and go forward in D. Reverse just revs, and doesn't spin...

As soon as you pull the pan you will see the valve body. It could be something as simple as a bad TCU.

The valve body is inside the auto sump. The O ring is above the VB.
If you didn't touch the auto, then the O ring I'm talking about is ok.
Does the wheels turn in neutral on a hoist with the engine runing ?
If they turn & can be stopped easy, it is ok.
If they are very hard to stop, the forward clutches are jaming.
This will cause no reverse also, because of the forward clutches binding.
Your prob might be electrical, but I'm not realy savy there.
Cheers !

Again, i never touched the tranny... i no my TCU is bad, but i have the road surge shift box, that acts as a stand alone TCU and bypasses it.

I will post some pics in a bit... im curious about some plugs. I cannot find ANY pictures of transmission plugs and wires anywhere on here.

The wheels did spin fine, and like i said, it drove. I noticed this little bar that connects to of the arms behind the wheel. Well, idk how long, but i noticed mine isnt connected. Its just a little rod with to end caps that sits behind the wheel.

Lastly, i cleaned the area of the tranny by hand spraying a little brake cleaner, what plugs should i check? I noticed one of them, the wire is partially sticking out from the plug itself. Not fully pulled out, but exposed wire. What if these wires touched? Be and issue?

Oh and the car was running and driving fine before this.... my hg finally blew and i had lifters ticking bad because loss of oil pressure, so i towed it home.

All the road surge box is is a up and down counter with some switches. It won't take over for your TCU, you still need to shift it. Maybe some wiring got bumped, but the only wiring that is going to affect anything is the wiring for the solenoids, maybe the position selector where the cable goes, too.

^^ thats the thing, it shifts into the gears fine. I just dont no what the plugs on the transmission do and im trying to figure that out. I think there is only 2 or 3 on the case that i can see.

What about the fluid level being low? Is it possible? Im not sure how A/T's work, but i have now read that if there is not enough fluid to flow thru all the passages this could be a reason?

So ive been reading up, and i guess because of pressure and fluid, a improper level could cause it to not shift...which i think mine might be low. Maybe more was in my stock tranny cooler than i thought. I will check the level and add some tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Well guys... i made the simple mistake of putting my CC cable to the tranny connector! Things running fine now...man do i feel stupid LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back