1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

auto trans durability thread

Posted by 94awdcoupe, Mar 7, 2017

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I was told by Tim Zimmer AKA Twicks on here that many of the top guys ran it and it was perfect! its more heavy duty from what i read and thats always good for a trans that see's abuse!

the effects from road racing to drag racing will be totally different aswel! to what degree I dont know but hopefully next year I can come back to show my results from Time attack with an auto box and how it runs and compare the results to drag racing and life vs timespan etc etc

Road Race Build 8K  10  50

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  2. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    I would also look in to Amsoil. I'm not saying that because I run it but because a lot of research I did led me to selecting Amsoil. I have heard great things about HyGard but also heard it has a problem foaming/evaporating. Some people add stabilizer to prevent the foaming but I didn't want to mess with that. There are a few threads on here that talk about both Amsoil and HyGard so it seems like those are the two top options.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.793 @ 128.98 · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  3. Galant665

Galant665 Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2004
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Got an all stock 1g auto. 136k. Now at 155k. Translab kit. Shiftbox and still use stock TCU for most driving. I mix JD Hyrdo and ATF. Still running stock cooler. Putting a second one inline with it. Flushed filter and fluid through a good 4 times. It had never been changed before. Don't expect trans to last forever. Have another ready to go in with Kiggly clutches. Translab kit. TRE shotpeened and detail transfer gears and TRE 4 spider gear diff. Like the stock converter. Have another 1g I auto swapped and ran the stock converter on it for awhile then put in a restalled stocker. Dyno graphs between the two are interesting. Driveability is better on the stock converter especially when racking up miles. Now I just got another 2g GSX Auto. Whole nother car project.

489  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  4. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    95 AWD auto here. Been beating on this car daily, & at the shootout the last 3 years. Will be adding a secondary cooler with a fan soon. My current trans cooler is aftermarket & mounted in front of passenger side radiator. Two slim fans from Jegs on $75 range fans, for upper CFM.

Posting here. As, I will be considering either a restalled stock converter OR a sinister? I think BOOMDEEZE mentioned.

Wondering about just rebuilding my spare 2g awd auto trans while I'm at it?

I'm poor. Not sure if I mentioned this. But over my 12 year escapades with my DSM, I make this happen over time.

Forgot to mention, there isn't much info on the Forced Four Shiftbox 100.1 on here. I have one recently installed & will be exploring this & documenting my experiences on a dedicated thread later on.

Street Build 620  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.