The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Trans Dogs car down when stopping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keil423

Probationary Member
Sep 6, 2013
Aberdeen, South_Dakota
First off let me say that my car is a 95 Talon TSI and I recently did a motor swap after being broke down for about 8 years.

My problem is after a a short period of driving my transmission starts acting up and its starting to take less time for it to act up.

What is does is when I am coming to a stop it bogs down hard like I'm slamming on the brakes when I'm not. I can accelerate out of it no problem. It also likes to rapidly shift between (I think) 1st and 2nd gear when I'm driving at about 5 MPH. Its like its confused about what gear it should be in. If I manually downshift it does fine.

Its been acting this way for about a year now but like I said its getting worse over time. When I first got it running I did not have this issue. It was about 3 months after my motor swap that it started.

I have of course changed out the fluids and filters. I've actually changed them twice now. I didn't notice any metal chunks or anything to be concerned about while changing the filter.

I'm at a loss and not sure where to look. Unfortunately where I'm located the mechanics shops refuse to work on DSMs and I would have to take it 200 miles to get it serviced. The shop 200 miles away however has had tons of bad reviews and truthfully I prefer to turn my own wrenches!

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure what could cause the bogging. For the shifting between 1st and 2nd though, check the TCU. Open it up and smell the board. If it smells fishy, there is probably a bad capacitor. You can also visually inspect the TCU by looking for corrosion or burn marks on the board (especially at the capacitors). That's where I would start anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about the TCU but so far thats as far as I've gotten.

I'm wondering if it could be a problem with one of the shift solenoids? I pulled the valve body thinking screw it I'll just replace them but alas the local parts stores sold me the wrong part so I spent my weekend pulling it apart for no reason. Then I managed to break the manual valve in half by not getting it aligned properly.

I'll pull the TCU and do a visual inspection quick. I work with electronics (xbox 360 mostly) as a side job so I should be able to spot any bad caps and trace any failed components pretty easy.

Had a similar problem with my wife's car when we first got it, timing turned out to be off a few teeth. Luckily no bent valves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back