The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Auto trans compatability

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proven Member
Jan 13, 2019
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I have a mirage project with everything needed to put a 2g w4a33 transmission in. Axles, kiggly 6bolt in a 2g kit, all the engine mount points were fabed for the 2g trans. So i found and bought a built transmission i thought was the same with code W4A33K1UP6 which is actually an auto from a 1g. My first question would be if i bolt up this 1g transmission with the kiggly 6 bolt in 2g kit will i have starter problems since it changes location a bit? Second, if that isnt a problem. Pretty sure my mount points wont work because on a 1g the front and rear mounts are on the engine block instead right? Or are there different mounts that go to the same location in The bay as a 2g. (Really hope that question makes sense). And third. If i have problems with the previous points. Could i swap the guts from the 1g W4A33K1UP6 housing into a 2g housing i have with code W4A33K1UPQ2

I dont see why you would need the Kiggly 1g in a 2g parts if your using a 1g transmission with a 1g engine? The mount points very well may be in the same spots for where the actual mounts bolt into the body of the car, I have not looked in to that myself, maybe you can try it and tell us. The guts from the two auto's are not identical inside of the transmissions, one has a lockup converter and the other doesn't for example, the valve body's are different, etc. I would just use the 1g transmission somehow.

So to help clear this up a little, the stock "89-"92 3g colt summit mirages or CSM for short, use a lower north south crossmember, with rubber roll stop mounts attached to it, that then bolt to the block brackets, almost exactly like the "90-"94 1G dsm or 6th gen gvr4, now assuming you have a 6 bolt, hence why you likely wanted to use the adapter plate with the 2g transmission, you should have the bolt holes on the block like a 1g dsm/gvr4 so you can fabricate new front rear roll stops some 3g csm awd guys will make a front roll stop that then gets mounted to a cross bar that they weld in between the front tow hitch brackets, on the front of the subframe, then for the rear roll stop the popular thing to do on 3g csms is to drill 2 appropriately spaced bolt holes on an L shaped steel stock bracket, that will then be mounted to the 2 power steering rack upper mounting bolts, then extend it to the rear engine bracket, it takes custom fabrication skills, but it can be done in time, and then you should be able to use a stock "89-"92 csm auto transmission mount and steel bracket, on the passenger frame rail, to get a 1g awd transmission to work it should work look out for axle boot clearance etc, however if you already cut the frame mount point out for 2g auto transmission frame to gain clearance, then you may need to put that material back, in order to mount a 1g transmission in place, but to make it more simple the 2g front and rear roll stops won't bolt onto a 1g transmission because they were on the block on the early cars.

Last edited:
Ok so if i am understanding correctly based on that info is. 1g and 2g front and rear mounting spots are in different locations in the engine bay. Would you by any chance know if all the internals could be swapped between the 1g and 2g trans housings in case i need the 2g locations?
Also thank you very much for your detailed response

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back