The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Auto Tranny not wanting to shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLeMMeR

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2011
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, my auto tranny hasn't been shifting smoothly lately. It seems to grab the gears harder than it seems it should, it literally Sounded like it was smacking the rev limiter but it actually wasnt. Now I don't actually have my car at the moment but I'm going to do a Tranny Fluid change as soon as I get it back sometime this week. The turbo has a lot of shaft play so I was wondering if that would have anything to go with it? And I was also thinking about picking up End Clutches from IPT if that would help.
If you have any ideas or assumptions any input would be greatly appreciated.
(on the other hand, how many quarts does the Auto Tranny take for Fluid change, i searched and couldnt fine it and don't have my owners manual with me. And what types do you use that are recommended and available in stores rather than online,Thanks)

Is your trans hooked up using a TCU module or is it a swap where everything has been changed over to a semi-manual operation? I'm not really very good with auto trannies as my learngin curve was based around old chevy TH350/400 units, but if i had to take a stab at your issue i would lean to believe you probably have either a bit of clogging going on inside the valve body or a lack of a vacum signal if the DSM trannies even use that like older trannies did.

If it's got a control module to it you have have issues there as well. I've thought alot about the auto swap lately but with my lack of knowledge, the amount of parts i'd have to swap andthe rumoprthat the thing waighs in at around 300 lbs, i've kinda stopped all investigation into the innerworkings of them.

Hope someone can solve your issue notonly for your sake, but so i can pick up a little knowledge about the trans as well.

The turbo won't have anything to do with it. I would start with a trans fluid change and filter. Make sure you stick with a synthetic fluid rated for Chryslers and imports. It's the +4. I've had good luck with ORiellys fluid.

Fluid and filter change. The end clutch is only for overdrive. I've never had back luck with the plain old multi-vehicle ATF from Advance, and I'm not a cheap-ass. Until you start getting into racing fluids, they're all mostly from the same source, re-bottled. I would buy two gallons if you do the filter.

Gotcha. My car is gonna be under construction shortly with all the new parts going in. I'll start with a fluid change with ATF Synthetic and filter first and see if that changes anything. I'll be sure to post an update then. Thanks guys!

Gotcha. My car is gonna be under construction shortly with all the new parts going in. I'll start with a fluid change with ATF Synthetic and filter first and see if that changes anything. I'll be sure to post an update then. Thanks guys!
Is your Tps set correctly ?

That tps deal really goofed us up on the hubbys gst. But it didn't want to shift at all. It would clunk into reverse and when in drive, it was in its limp mode and would never shift to the next gear.

As far as fluid, we use the castrol multi-import fluid from Advance as it has the diamond sp whatever it is for Mitsubishi's on the back of it. No issues now. I believe service change is like 4.8 quarts or something like that.

Is your Tps set correctly ?

Actually I'm really glad you brought that up because I believe it isn't. My check engine has been throwing code 14 for TPS. So I put a new one on, yet I can't adjust it because you apparently need a meter and I'm just not good with it, however with that being said the CEL is on when it idles but as soon as you hit the gas the CEL goes away. It then comes back at idle again. In short I don't believe it is set correctly.

That tps deal really goofed us up on the hubbys gst. But it didn't want to shift at all. It would clunk into reverse and when in drive, it was in its limp mode and would never shift to the next gear.

Mine also "clunks" going into reverse like it hesitates to go in, mine just doesnt want to seem to shift, I'd have to let off the gas and try and blend the gears together otherwise it will sound like its snacking the rev limiter.

This tps is set perfect..It might get you in the ballpark in setting yours without a meter...

Attachments

• tps pic.jpg
    tps pic.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 66
This tps is set perfect..It might get you in the ballpark in setting yours without a meter...

I'll check this weekend and mess with it to get it adjusted, at the moment the idle fluctuates a little bit, like 12-1500rpm. That picture should help out
Thanks man, I'll check in with an update then
But on a side note, how exactly does the TPS trigger the not wanting to shift?

Here you go...

Attachments

• TPS EXPLAINED.jpg
    TPS EXPLAINED.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 56
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back