The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

auto awd or awd swap gst?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97_4g63t

Supporting VIP
Jun 6, 2010
carlsbad, New_Mexico
Ok so as the title says I'm wanting to go awd. I can either order an awd swap kit for 2500 or I can probably get an awd auto talon for about the same. I can swap a huge amount of parts from mine if I go to the auto. I just don't really know hardly anything about autos. Car is just a weekend warrior. Not a daily. Mainly just to take out and dominate every once in awhile. What do yall think?

I started off as a 5 Spd GST, and did a 5 Spd AWD swap a few years back. Best thing I've ever done to the car, hands down.

I am sometimes tempted to look into an auto swap, but I don't drag race the car at all, just take it out on weekends like you, so I think it would lose too much of it's "fun factor" as an auto, but on a 1/4 mile track, it would be much more consistent and hold more power, without having to worry about which clutch to buy.

I started off as a 5 Spd GST, and did a 5 Spd AWD swap a few years back. Best thing I've ever done to the car, hands down.

I am sometimes tempted to look into an auto swap, but I don't drag race the car at all, just take it out on weekends like you, so I think it would lose too much of it's "fun factor" as an auto, but on a 1/4 mile track, it would be much more consistent and hold more power, without having to worry about which clutch to buy.

Awesome. I think that's the route I'm going to take. Gotta look into finding one or just spend the 2500 for a kit.

If maybe you can find a somebody local parting a 2G awd out you could get it way cheaper with a little know how and more hands on work. $2,500 sounds a little high to me.

If maybe you can find a somebody local parting a 2G awd out you could get it way cheaper with a little know how and more hands on work. $2,500 sounds a little high to me.

It's that much cuz of the shipping. I'll have to look around more for maybe a closer one. There seems to not be shit anywhere around here

It's that much cuz of the shipping. I'll have to look around more for maybe a closer one. There seems to not be sh** anywhere around here
Thanks for your post. I'm trying to AWD my 97gst. Where did you find this AWD kit you're talking about. I've been searching but I can't find any kits or 97 gsx that are parting out . Thanks!

Maybe its because I shift everyday "trucker" but I love my auto. Then again I just turned 39... maybe I'm getting old

Thanks for your post. I'm trying to AWD my 97gst. Where did you find this AWD kit you're talking about. I've been searching but I can't find any kits or 97 gsx that are parting out . Thanks!
there isnt a "kit" per say... you would have to find someone parting out an awd that will sell you trans, t case, driveshaft, rear diff, rear subframe, and all necessary body brackets needed to do the swap.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-dsm-awd-conversion.353458/

theres a good place to start to give you an idea of what you will need.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back