The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Are there any new 3rd and 4th gear options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
I saw today where Magnus is teasing a new billet front section for our transfer case which I am thrilled about but has brought me to wonder if anyone has discovered an alternative aside from an auto or dogbox to our 3rd and 4th gears. We now have bulletproof everything except transmissions available for our cars and I hate to know that the only thing keeping dsm's from being competitive, semi-reliable cars in the 9 second range is gears. I know about a year ago people on the link forums were trying to get Matthias' gears from Europe but even those seemed to have some issues and not many people using them. Does anyone know of a shop or individual currently attempting to get us a new alternative?

Order a PAR synchro set? I'm not sure what your hoping for but if it's a $1000 permanent fix for 3/4 it's never ever going to happen.

That tcase set you were eying is you big ballers. That gear set is going to be near the price of a dogbox it's self. It'll be custom low production expensive materials. The guys that need it are about 5, and they need it because they break a 300m shafted tcase about every pass.

For a guy chasing 9's leave an open center diff in the car and get the front to hook. Your T-Case and rear end issues go away.

I'm working on a solution that involves an entire gearset, I'm not really going to discuss it at this point. It'll cost 5-6k though, and it might be 5 years out at this point. Considering I got 2 seasons out of my current trans I'm not that hard pressed to work on it.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your input as I know you've got quite a bit of experience in this area. I am not looking for a $1000 fix, I'm just trying to determine if anyone out there is actively working on a solution that's not 8k. Hell I'm even fine spending 8k on a dogbox at this point but I want it to last more than 3 seasons and a few thousand street miles. Maybe I did not elaborate enough on my overall concern in the original post. I'm not looking to cut 1.2 sixtys and I'm not concerned about transfer case durability really. I want a car I can do a third gear pull in at 700 hp and not rip the teeth off the gears. I'm sick of seeing 10 coyotes in a town of 100k people that are reliably trapping mid 140's when we have a motor, transfer case, driveshaft, and axles that can easily do that but gears that are a ticking time bomb. I just hate the fact that we have so much potential in these cars but one really expensive trans solution.

If you are wanting to race semi-reliably get an auto with the straight cut transfer gears.

The manuals are so much fun for highway pulls, but just don't hold up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back