The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Are ignition coils interchangeable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spades

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2007
Beaumont, California
Are the 1-4 coils interchangeable with the 2-3 coils? Im getting a P0301 code, ive swapped plugs around and changed out the wires and still getting the same code. Thinking coils but dont want to make a purchase without ensuring its the coils. My question is, would i have a code P0304 for cyl 4 as well since they share coils? If not the coils, i will look into the ignition module next

changed out the ignition module and no change. I did swap to 660cc injectors a few months ago so maybe theyre defective. This weekend ill swap injectors or maybe go back to my 560cc, test cam and crank sensors.

Yes, the coils are interchangeable.

you could also check the power transistor. There is a good thread on how to do that on here somewhere.

I don't think I would worry about the Cam and Crank sensors. if the crank was bad it shouldn't fire at all. I don't believe the cam sensor has anything to do with spark.

The power transistor is sometimes referred to as ignition module, already did that. The cam sensor has to do with the timing of the spark. I do believe that if they fail the car wouldnt run at all and not be specific to Cyl #1, but im trying to cover all basis as ive read that they can contribute to cyl misfires

Any updates?

I had an issue where the car would drop a cylinder randomly. Turned out to be the ECU. HAd issues with cracked spark plugs as well. But you already did that. What plugs are you running?

Well ive been driving it for a week now and the CEL hasnt come back on. It has never lasted this long without getting a CEL. I havent made any corrections, just swapped parts around to see if it moves to another cyl. I should note that when i was checking the injector resistance on Cyl #1 the reading was quite jumpy, i repeated the test over & over again thinking maybe it was the contact of my probes and shaking of my hands, but eventually got it to settle, and then i repeated it still several more times and was still jumpy some of the times. Im thinking i have a bad internal contact with the injector, but for now has a good solid contact after i wiggled it around during testing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back