The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved Aftermarket temp gauge is showing false high readings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian O Conner

10+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2011
Sheridan, Indiana
As soon as I start the car the aftermarket autometer gauge will start showing temperature readings that are anywhere from 50 to 70 degrees hotter than what the car is actually at. I used my temperature laser gun to check the whole car and the gauge will be anywhere from 50 to 70 degrees hotter than what the car actually is. I changed the sending unit and that didnt make a difference. I even bought a replacement autometer gauge and that didnt even fix the problem. So I then thought it was the wiring. I ended up making jumping wires from the old gauge to a ground, a 12 volt terminal and a wire to the temp sending unit and it still showed the same 50 to 70 degree off readings. I am running out of ideas and the only possibility I have is that this autometer 100-250 degree water temo gauge isn't compatible with this car but I have no idea. Has anybody heard of a scenerio like this before? I did check the temp laser gun on another car to make sure it wasnt off and its on point. The car would be running at around 180-195 on the temp laser gun but gauge shows around 250. Any theories and ideas would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much the case for all aftermarket gauges, not something specific to Autometer.
Its just odd though because when I bought this thing back in 2010 the guy had the stock sending unit. Which I did buy this car in pieces but it shows you dont take things for granted I guess still weird though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back