The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Aftermarket tach install on a 2g gsx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2race

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2011
Wayne, New_Jersey
When i bought my car came with an cobalt autometer tach with shift light. Have power ground and illumination hooked up. Just the green wire is left. I have an msd dis-2 ignition with a tach output. It showed that it was producing a signal. Hooked it up to that, read nothing. I also read that on the connector on the left of the coil is a white wire which can be tapped. Well that wire was already cut when i found it. Still enough wire exposed to strip and test. Still got no reading whatsoever.. I read online that autometer sells adapters like this: Auto Meter Tachometer Adapters

Is this what I would need? I also understand I can get an rpm signal from the ecu from pin 58-ignition pulse signal or pin 89-crank angle pulse signal. But i really want to stay away from the ecu if i can. Any help?

I read online that autometer sells adapters like this: [url=http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/gauges/tachometer-gauge-parts/tachometer-adapters/b/auto-meter/?/gauges/tachometer-gauge-parts/tachometer-adapters/?mkwid=sPI4QtRCs|pcrid|6576765681&mm_campaign=7a3e2e5a6d79921231e005b1d2268a32&keyword=auto%20meter%20tachometer%20adapter&gclid=CInol-TGzq0CFQPf4AoduB3Bng said:
Auto Meter Tachometer Adapters[/url]

Is this what I would need? I also understand I can get an rpm signal from the ecu from pin 58-ignition pulse signal or pin 89-crank angle pulse signal. But i really want to stay away from the ecu if i can. Any help?

our cars do need these adapters to transfer the tach signal not sure about the msd though. are your power and ground wires hooked up correctly? i would guess msd wouldnt need the adapter it would be built in but do not take my word on this

our cars do need these adapters to transfer the tach signal not sure about the msd though. are your power and ground wires hooked up correctly? i would guess msd wouldnt need the adapter it would be built in but do not take my word on this

Thats what id imagine too but i guess not and yes i triple checked all my wires ### this drove me crazy haha thanks for the advice!

MSD has a tach adapter too. Go to jegs, they sell em and so does summit

alright thanks, but are all of them have to be so expensive? The one i posted is for 70! any cheap ones you know of?

I hate to sound like a dick on this, but you have to pay to play on this one. If you cant afford to do it right, you cant afford to do it. You can also think of it this way, do it right once and you wont need to do it again.

One more thing guys, please. I downloaded directions for the tachometer adapter install and at the top it says this : The Tach Adapter cannot be used with a Capacitive Discharge Ignition (such as an MSD
Ignition Control). The voltage on the coil positive must be below 18 volts. Does this mean i cant use it because of the msd dis-2 ignition system in my car already??? Any advice guys, thanks!

I believe that on certain tacks there are settings for 2,4,6 ect. cylinders. sinse we have 2 coil pack for4 cylinders you should have to set the tack to read for a 2 cylinders. Or if the gauge doesnt have that built in i believe autometer sells a little conversion box that does is for DIS cars.

You could always just get rid of the tach and sell it if its causing you problems. As long as the stock one is working you don't need it anyways.

Im considering that hahaha & the stock tach doesnt work either :/

I believe that on certain tacks there are settings for 2,4,6 ect. cylinders. sinse we have 2 coil pack for4 cylinders you should have to set the tack to read for a 2 cylinders. Or if the gauge doesnt have that built in i believe autometer sells a little conversion box that does is for DIS cars.

Alright ill look into the settings. My tach just has loops you are supposed to cut for the number of cylinders and pulses or something to that affect. & as far as i know i already need an adapter for the tach since our cars dont have distrubutors. Are you saying id need another adapter? heres the directions: http://autometer.com/productPDF/1244.pdf
im really confused haha

So I've been looking for an answer to this problem as well. i currently have a Sunpro cp7900 tach that worked on setting 4 cylinder with my msd dis 2 cdi box. Well my cdi box took a crap, so now I'm on denso COP coils and going to be using my factory tach signal from the ecu (white wire pin #58).

Now I'm going to be trying this today, but my tach instructions state that with a distributorless system (our cars 2g dsm) that we have to put it on 2 cylinder setting regardless of the number of cylinders.

Attached is a picture of the instructions, I will report back later today to let y'all know if the tach setting on cylinder 2 works with out factory engine ignition rpm signal Pin #58, and that the tach rpm matches what im seeing on ecmlink.

Again, I'm using a Sunpro cp7900 ---->
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back