The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Adjustable cam gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
Posting this in the Newb section because I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this and the question is a bit general.

I am getting closer to swapping the head on my GVR4 with a built head/Crower 272s and running E85.

The main reason that I am doing this is because I have these parts laying around and I love the sound of a cammed 4g63t.

The car is also due for a T-belt/tensioner change.

I am reading that I will lose torque and that my car will slow down unless I rev the crap out of it which I hate doing. My State's Laws are very anti auto enthusiast, so I usually baby my cars.

I am also reading that I will need cam gears to make the most of the setup which I am not crazy about especially since I have no knowledge in that area.

Do the cam gears go on when I am doing the t-belt job or can they go on some time afterwards?

I just don't want to overwhelm myself and get discouraged then never get anything done which I have a tendency to do.

Thanks for any advice.

It's more work if you wait & put the cam gears on later. To change the gears you have to remove the T-belt & makes most sense to chnage the gears while doing your T-belt but you can go either way. Just install the gears set straight up at zero. This way you could still play with adjusting the gears later.

It's more work if you wait & put the cam gears on later. To change the gears you have to remove the T-belt & makes most sense to chnage the gears while doing your T-belt but you can go either way. Just install the gears set straight up at zero. This way you could still play with adjusting the gears later.

Thanks for confirming that the t-belt needs to be removed anyways. Like I said, new area for me.

I have done quite a bit of skimming through cam gear posts with little interest. Is there any particular feature that I need from the cam gears. Are some less reliable than others?

What I am getting at is some folks mentioned that they were happy with lower end ebay stuff while others frowned on that.

I hate cheaping out, but "needing" cam gears was not something that I expected so I am inclined to pay less for a set. The car is not a daily either. I am lucky to have it running a few days a year at this point.

Thanks!

Aem cam gears have nice big adjustment bolts. I think it's something to look for. There are also fidanza cam gears which have stud and nut instead of bolt which is also good.

Also, I've read if not planning to degree cams, no need for adjustable cam gears. And degreeing cams gives slight power increase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back