The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Accessory problems (aftermarket head unit, wiper, etc.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boma

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2009
Reseda, California
I'd like to apologize in advance because I'm not really sure if this goes to Electrical thread.

Started having problems a couple of weeks ago, the head unit would not turn on and after driving for a while it would just turn on by itself. It would go away for a couple of days and then start doing it again. Lately, my wipers would do the same as well and I just found out a couple of days ago that whenever I turn off the car and my turbo timer does the countdown the head unit will turn on and so does the wiper, but if I put back the keys in the ignition switch, both the head unit and wiper would not work and it only works now if the turbo timer does the countdown.

Car runs normally, no problems whatsoever aside from the fact that the turbo timer is messing with me & I have not installed anything electrical in the car for over a year now. I took out the head unit and looked at it and there seems to be nothing wrong with it and I'm still confused as to why it also happens to my wiper.

Thanks in advance,
Boma

is the head unit factory or aftermarket? Sounds like a short or grounding issue somewhere. If its an aftermarket head unit it could do with where and how they powered/grounded the unit upon it's install.

Yes it is an aftermarket head unit, its posted on the title as well but thanks for chiming in, really appreciate it. I already took it out at 1 time and I guess I just need to look at the wiring, but I really doubt it since it does turn on everytime only when the turbo timer does the countdown, doesn't matter if the ignition key is on the car or not. I'll look deeper into the fuses and relays and again thanks for chiming in.

Boma

no problem, LOL.... didnt realize to look in the title for the answer to my question, LOL. But yeah, sounds like a short somewhere. As to where..... you got me. Maybe someone with a similar condition will chime in as well, but your case sounds pretty rare, ha.

Its all good, still looking for the issues as of this writing but I won't have time to deal with it for the next couple of days, its not my D/D but as long as its driving fine I guess I can leave it alone for now. The only thing I could think of right now is it maybe related to the ignition switch ### it only does it when the turbo timer does the countdown and the key is out of course. Thanks again, I'll update sometime by weekend.

Boma

i guess that would make since. since the turbo timer and maybe even the stereo was wired off the ignition. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Apparently my turbo timer harness was loose, the one that is connected to the ignition switch, left side of the steering wheel, now my accessories are working again, took me a while to find out the problem but now I think it may have messed up my ignition switch, won't even crank. That's entirely a different problem for now so I just marked this thread solved. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back