The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A AC Compressor or expansion valve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96WhiteEclipse

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2022
Owasso, Oklahoma
On my 1996 eclipse GS (420A) I don’t know if my expansion valve or compressor is bad. When I turn in the AC with a gauge connected to the high and low side of the AC, the high side doesn’t drop pressure and low side doesn’t gain pressure. I’m not sure if this is a symptom of a bad expansion valve or a bad compressor. I can see and hear the compressor kick on but I don’t get cold air. I’ve replaced the condenser, evaporator and dual pressure switch. When I bought the car it didn’t have AC I don’t know how long the AC wasn’t run for but could this have possibly damaged one of those components? And which should I replace or both? Don’t just wanna throw money at it. I’m a broke high school kid who loves his car. Thank you for your help in advance

I thought you said you had a gauge set on it?

I’ve been away from shops for six years now and I haven’t looked for my cheat sheet but If you see the low side trying to go almost into vacuum I would suspect the expansion valve, if they stay equal the whole time I’d suspect the compressor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back