1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build 99 gst first car

Rating:
5/5,
Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ZACH 99 GST

ZACH 99 GST Probationary Member

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    GST with PSI I really do appreciate all the good things you have said about my car. My dad and I have been working on this forever it seems like, but now it's ready. I actually started driving to school this week. But the first time I got into boost and felt how good the car cruised all doubt went out the window. I am so happy to be fortunate enough to have my car, which is the car I've always wanted, as my first car. I don't know how many people realize how much it took for me to own this. My family is by no means rich. So I worked for every penny that went in to the car, so that only makes it that much more rewarding.

Now as far as the yellow. My dad came across a sandblaster for a good price and I was sitting there looking at my engine bay just thinking, "what's something that'll really pop?" Then yellow came to mind. The yellow is not random though. It was inspired by the 92 eagle talon my dad owned when I was young image.jpeg It's a picture of a picture so it's not that great. Yes it was lime green with a body kit but that was actually before the fast and the furious. But don't think ricer because it had a 16g with all supporting mods. I just remember drooling over that car as a 5 year old and don't think I wasn't heart broken when he sold it. image.jpeg Now whether or not you like it it's was still a clean and very well maintained car.

I however am not doing anything like that to my car. A 2g looks best when it looks like a 2g. It is staying red also.

The cars that really inspired me are jdxncs, gofers, and ILLiClipses.
    They deserve credit for there cars

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

Street Build 3K  18

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Zach,

The compliments I gave you were well deserved. You're young, but it's pretty clear you're working hard toward a goal. In today's society where everyone thinks they are entitled and should get whatever they want for nothing, it's refreshing to see a young guy like yourself. I know grown ass men who can't grasp some of the concepts you're speaking about here, so good on you man.

You're lucky to have a father who knows this platform. Suck up all the knowledge you can from your dad, because that's truly invaluable. It took me over a decade to gain the knowledge I have today without a cool DSM dad. You've got a good head start on most people, since you're dad is there to guide you, so take full advantage of that.

Back when your dad built that lime green Talon, the term "ricer" wasn't even really a thing. I can respect a clean and very well maintained car no matter what color it is, or what body kit is on it. To me, it's not so much what is done, but how it is done. No matter my personal feelings on a particular modification, I can respect the time and effort that goes into doing it right. If you put forth the time and effort to make a lime green body kit look as good as a lime green body kit possibly can, I absolutely respect that. From the few pictures you posted, it looks to me like your dad's old Talon is in the "done right" category, so I wouldn't worry too much about people calling it rice or whatnot. It's cool that your dad's old build is inspiring you to do similar things to your own car, even if some things aren't appealing to others (myself included). But, that's the cool thing about this being YOUR car, you can paint sh** whatever color you want. Just remember, not everyone will like what you do, so be prepared to deal with criticism, and try to do it in a positive way.

jdxnc, gofer, and ILLiClipse are all great builds to emulate. Follow what those guys are doing, and you'll be on track to having a 2G that looks and performs great. Your build thread should be the place where you can share your accomplishments and let us know what you're working on, so keep posting updates!

Street Build 26K  18  143

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.030 @ 119.39 · Galant VR-4

865  23

1982 Yamaha Virago
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 5K  74

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4
  4. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I finally had time to give my car a good wash and wax this weekend. I haven't been able to because of the weather and baseball. It came out pretty good though

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Well last night was a scare guys. I had a game, so after I got off the bus my friend and I went out to the parking lot to cars. I let it warm up just like usual. We probably talked for 10 mins so I'm sure it was good. We were going home and I went one way and he went the other way out the parking lot. But before I could even get out I had the crap scared out of me.

So I'm leaving and not really even getting on it. I was just easing into it. So I'm in 1st gear 1k rpms, 2k rpms, BOOM!

My heart dropped thinking I just severely screwed something up. I coasted to the edge of the parking lot while my car was idling really bad and then it just died.

So I pull the emergency brake, put on my hazards, and called my friend.

When it died the oil guage was acting up and I thought it was a head gasket but I really didn't know what blowing one was like, so that was just my guess. I pulled my phone out for its flash light to see if oil was leaking anywhere and it wasn't. But right then my shop teacher and some people from my shop class pulled up. They were on there way back from a competition so thank god for that. They told me they would be back real quick. So then I told my friend to just do a quick drive down and see if he saw any oil at all.

So while they were gone I did what I was really regretting, I called my dad. I specified to him that it was only 3k rpms because my dad automatically thinks I redline it all the time but I really don't. I guess it's because I'm a teenager LOL. He told me to start it up and it was idling bad, stunk, and the oil pressure was low. Well he said he was leaving our house then.

Well my friend didn't see any oil and then I found my problem, an intercooler pipe came loose.

When all the people came back from the ag building they lined their trucks up and left their lights on. They really did crack me up. They said all they seem was two people in the dark and thought it looked suspicious. This guy was like I thought I was witnessing a drug deal until we saw you. Lol.

Another funny thing is that one guy started complementing my car and it kind of shocked me. He was talking to all the others he came up and he was like, "guys this is the turbo eclipse. This is some badass sh** right here."
    Then another one was pointing at all my yellow things I had painted and my spark plug wires and he was like," I don't know what this is but it looks cool." So they were really cracking me up which was good because I was still sweating bullets.

Well we pushed my car out of the way and started jacking it up. My jack only moved it a couple inches so we had to put a second one under it just to get it high enough.

We then started trying to maneuver the pipe back onto the clamp. We got it closer than it was but didn't really do much. They kept talking about my car and I was really shocked that they liked it and I told them how much I appreciated the help.

But then the reinforcements came in. My dad. Lol. He knew exactly what to do because I think it happened to him driving it to work one day. But in about five minutes my car was back together and running. So all the ag guys left after I thanked them again, and then I drove it home really really easy with my dad and my friend following me. I just think it was cool how people I didn't really know were letting me borrow their tools and helping be out at 9:00 at night so thanks to them again.

Well guys their is the story of how my Monday night went.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Nate96gst

Nate96gst Probationary Member

Joined Aug 28, 2012
    Newark, Ohio
    Nice car man. I got my first gst when I was 17 now I'm 22 and on #5 LOL. sell them and always end up buying another. my advice is to buy a daily driver. all my eclipse's have been toys/projects aka broke down more than running LOL. when your building a turbo car or daily driving them they are going to have problems so its always nice to have a daily driver that's not your project. keep up the good work bro. learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. there is so many knowledgeable guys on this site.

Street Build 684  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 870  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

342  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  7. totaleclipse_05

totaleclipse_05 Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2005
    Hutchinson, Minnesota
    Glad it wasn't anything major. Blowing an intercooler pipe off the coupler is always a scary thing as it's usually loud and unexpected, been there before haha. You have a very clean looking car, keep up the good work on getting it where you want it to be. You have about 3-4 years on where I was around your age for knowledge so you are definitely on the right track to being an expert.

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Well guys I got my donor car today. It's a 95 gsx image.jpeg so hopefully pretty soon my dad and I will start my awd swap. The car was bought from a guy who just moved here from Colorado. He drove it all the way from Colorado. It only has 131,000 miles on it which really doesn't seem that bad for a 21 year old car. I drove it home and it seemed a lot less responsive then my car. It that because the awd cars were geared different? But anyways I'm excited!

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    GST with PSI likes this.
  9. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    What's the deal if the 95 EProm ecu. Is that something that I want in my car? I've read on it, but I'd appreciate if someone dumbed down what is good about for me. Thanks

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Well guys my mom and I were just talking about how you can't have anything nice around here yesterday, and guess what happened today. My mom woke me up and tell me she had bad news. She started to tell me that my dad took my car to Walmart to get some frion or freeon, I honestly could care less right now how it's spelt, for my car. And I was thinking like oh sh** somebody wrecked into my dad but no. Somebody tried to break into my car..... Now if you look at it you can't tell. They broke the most pain in the ass thing to replace. THE DOORHANDLE. Now from what I've seen, the factory handles are a whole lot better quality wise then the replacements. So of course, they broke the only one I had. So no the door handle is really not all that exspensive. I have one and the paint for it. It's just the fact that it happened. I'm so pissed right now. A lot of people are just like oh well, but they don't know how much time and effort I put into my car, and for someone to just come along and screw it up rubs me wrong in so many ways.

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    That sucks, dude. All you can really do is fix it at this point.

If I were you, I'd just pull one from your 95 parts car. Then, go to Automotivetouchup.com, and get a can of matched spray paint (color and clear) for your car. Spray the handle, and install it. Done.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but just be glad they didn't trash anything else.

865  23

1982 Yamaha Virago

Street Build 5K  74

bkrathwohl likes this.
  13. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    When they broke it image.jpeg now the new fresh painted handle image.png

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    GST with PSI likes this.
  14. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. Serkex

Serkex Probationary Member

Joined Jun 6, 2016
    Clinton, Missouri
    So this is your first car? a 1999 GST? Dude its a great looking car, About 4 months ago I purchased a 1997 GST from a guy up in Iowa (now mind you, this is also my first car). Now It had a few issues, like it needed tires, a new clutch and a few months in my alternator went out. But now Im just trying to pay off that last $1,800 that I owe, and I will be perfect to put new mods on my car. First I need to take the wheels up one size and put 17's on it that are somewhat deep dish and work out a few minor flaws in the car such as dents. Lets just hope it pays off.

Street Build 657  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  16. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Yeah man it's my first car. I bought it around this time last year from a guy in Tupelo Mississippi for $750 without a motor. Then I literally went to Oklahoma the next weekend to pic up a 99 gs that someone had attempted to swap a 4g63 in to. It had others things I needed like a brand new oem clutch and a wing with good paint, but it also had black leather interior which was great. When we finally got the motor out we found some amazing news. It was a 6 bolt. I had to go back to Mississippi to get a few parts from the guy like a 2g head and a bunch of brackets. So I have the best combination of the 6 bolt and 7 bolt in one motor.

I turned 16 in November last year and started driving my car a couple months later. I am fortunate enough to only have one very minor dent. I do have a lot of small chips and nicks in the paint, but I have touch up paint to fix that later.

My dad and I are starting my awd swap after we get back from vacation so it'll be down for a while but it will be worth it.

But anyways good luck with your car man. Enjoy it no matter what anyone says.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  18. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  19. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Not really any news on my car, but I did something today that I think was worth sharing with y'all. I took an advance drivers ed today. It went through more situations like skid control and collision avoidance. All the instructors were actual racecar drivers and they made this free program because two of them lost their teenagers in car accidents. They had this one section where there were the plastic covers on the tires and it was supposed to mimic sliding around on rain or ice. It was very hard but fun at the same time. Who wouldn't love drifting around though? All the vehicles were brand new Kias. I feel like I left a whole lot better driver. Every time someone would ask me what I drove I was happy to say a 99 eclipse gsx LOL. But anyways they go all around the country, so if anyone has teen driver they should definitely check it out. It's called BRAKES. I believe you get a deduction off your insurance too. So I killed two birds with one stone today.

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  20. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Well it's been a long time since I bought the donor car but everything is about ready to go into my car. Everything has been sandblasted and painted with truck bed coating and has all new bushings. IMG_6730.JPG IMG_6729.JPG Luckily the car does have an lsd IMG_6731.JPG the car hasn't had much done to it other than a fixed adapter for the filter to the maf sense that decided to crack. I also got HID's for my birthday on Thursday along with an HD lip we made today. IMG_6732.JPG IMG_6736.JPG IMG_6735.JPG

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  21. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Went out with some friends yesterday and got some good pictures of the car. I swiped my mom's camera and it takes way better pictures than my iPhone. DSCN6576.JPG DSCN6578.JPG DSCN6596.JPG DSCN6598.JPG DSCN6601.JPG DSCN6608.JPG DSCN6600.JPG DSCN6613.JPG DSCN6623.JPG DSCN6614.JPG DSCN6628.JPG DSCN6632.JPG DSCN6630.JPG

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    buddahboost and GST with PSI like this.
  22. 2ndgenken

2ndgenken Probationary Member

Joined Feb 22, 2014
    Fair Oaks, California
    I like the bronze wheels

23. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Nice shots. Keep up the good work.

865  23

1982 Yamaha Virago

Street Build 5K  74

24. ZACH 99 GST

Joined Jul 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I have a buddy that's starting to do hydro dipping, and I have a full interior out of a donor car that he can practice with. Do you guys think it would look good if I got all the grey plastics that I could swap in my car dipped carbon fiber? Or would it be way to much and throw everything off? Let me know what you think

Street Build 3K  18

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  25. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    I always thought a super clean stock interior looks best, but to each their own.

Just keep in mind, as that stuff starts to wear over time, it looks like crap. Unless you're willing to redo it when it starts to look rough, I wouldn't recommend doing it at all.

865  23

1982 Yamaha Virago

Street Build 5K  74

TK's9d2TSi likes this.