The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

95 GST - First Project Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjelle88

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2012
Cloquet, Minnesota
In March of 2012, I found for sale a 95 GST down in Chicago for $2,500. I had been looking for about a month for a 2G Eclipse and this one was in my price range and looked to be in good shape for being 17 years old. Being this is my first sports car, and not really having a strong knowledge in mechanics, it's been my goal to learn about my car and poor into some tlc that was much needed. My goal is redue everything that is needing / will be needing to be replaced in these first couple years. Then, after that, my hopes is to pick up a different dd and transform my car into either a summer cruiser or possibly, a rally car.

Good luck man....there is a ton of good info on this forum and alot of good people that can help. Have you done any maintenace to the car yet. You really need to check and probably replace the timing belt,water pump and while its apart the belt tensioner, along with the normal stuff like pluges and wires and filters. I had a 1996 gst and had blast with it once I listened to some wise people and did all the major things and than started to tune...not the other way around.

Good luck man....there is a ton of good info on this forum and alot of good people that can help. Have you done any maintenace to the car yet. You really need to check and probably replace the timing belt,water pump and while its apart the belt tensioner, along with the normal stuff like pluges and wires and filters. I had a 1996 gst and had blast with it once I listened to some wise people and did all the major things and than started to tune...not the other way around.

Already did that :thumb: Thanks to reading & reaping all the freakin awesome wisdom on this site before I even bought the car. When I got the car, the kid had already replaced the timing belt the summer before, along with the valve cover & valve seals, the alternator, dipstick. He also put in an aftermarket oil system, Spectra cold air filter & Apexi exhaust. He was in the process of tuning it up, but got laid off from his job so he couldn't afford it. His loss was my gain.

But once I got home, I went through and put in new plugs, wires, full synth oil, new coolant, new knock sensor, catch can system and battery. I was going to replace the fuel filter last week, however, after having much difficulty trying to get it off on the bottom half, I decided to wait till I had more time to put in a soft line (however, seeing that my fuel filter wasn't really dirty, I'm not extremely worried). I also will be replacing the fuel pump, filter. Then, I'm hoping next week to put in all new shocks/struts, lowering springs, rotors & brakes.

Finally, it's my goal by the end of the summer to do some repainting as the roof needs to be repainting. Plus, I'm going to repaint the gray area of the trim with a rubberized undercoating (protection from the cursed MN salt & sand :mad: ). Also, last month I picked up a set of older Ultra racing rims for $75 that I'm going to paint gunmetal gray. Oh, and I'm going to install some new headlights, taillights, and side lights.

All I have to say though, is that most of this has been possible because of the insane amount of the knowledge and wisdomt that is here. I've learned an insane amount of even basic maintance that I wish I had known years before. But that's kinda my fault being that I was a teenager that just didn't give a rip about cars. Quickly changed once I got a car worth the time & effort. LOL

Good luck on the build. Biggest things to keep in mind are to take your time, and do your research :). Its better to measure three times and cut instead of measure once and screw it up...kinda mentality. The other big thing that I learned with other vehicles is to get an end goal in sight and then research and plan ahead. I.E, if you plan on cranking out 500whp.....invest in some 1000cc injectors instead of buying 560cc, just to upgrade later down the line and spend more money.

Hope this helps and I'm looking forward to see the progress. :thumb:

Good luck on the build. Biggest things to keep in mind are to take your time, and do your research :). Its better to measure three times and cut instead of measure once and screw it up...kinda mentality. The other big thing that I learned with other vehicles is to get an end goal in sight and then research and plan ahead. I.E, if you plan on cranking out 500whp.....invest in some 1000cc injectors instead of buying 560cc, just to upgrade later down the line and spend more money.

Hope this helps and I'm looking forward to see the progress. :thumb:

Thanks for the words of wisdom! Hopefully I'll get some pictures up here soon. I just got in today the parts for my next set.

4 Gold Line lowering springs
4 Gabriel Ultra Struts
2 Brembo rotors

(got all that for $220 from some kid off craigslist. All brand new & in the package)

Plus, I'm picking up some 3G Eclipse stock wheels in a couple days and plan on painting them graphite. Then off to get a much needed alignment.

Exterior Update w/ Pictures

Got a couple cans of truck bed liner and went to work on some of the trim pieces the other morning.
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Hood trim before
2_thumb.jpg

After
13_thumb.jpg

Window Trim Before
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

After
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Taillights before (previous owner did a crappy job of trying to blacken them out)
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

After
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Looks good, can you take some up close pictures of the window trim? Did the bedliner give a rough texture or lay flat? I know a lot of people use plastidip but bedliner would probably last longer and has some uv protection.

Good find, btw

Looks good, can you take some up close pictures of the window trim? Did the bedliner give a rough texture or lay flat? I know a lot of people use plastidip but bedliner would probably last longer and has some uv protection.

Good find, btw

Here ya go. I actually forgot to upload this one earlier to show the texture. I actually really like the texture it gives as it is a bit rough, but still has a bit of shine to it. I'm actually going to hit a few other areas on the car for more of a functional fashion look, so keep tuned.

showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back