The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 99 Eclipse GS build help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templetontardif

Probationary Member
Jan 23, 2014
regina, SK_Canada
I have a stock 99 Eclipse GS. Most people would say I'm dumb for wanting this but I would like to make it as fast as possible with no cost issues as I will wanting to use top of the line parts.

But before I do anything to my engine I would like to learn about what everyone would do and put into it to make it fast. If anyone could please help me with a build I would greatly appreciate it as I do want to look into this very thouroughly to see what I can do.

There is no rush on this build but i want to know exactly what i would need every part.

I have a 98 gs and I love it not a bad buy mine is still stock as well I'm doing a full build to I've finally got it to were it runs right

No sorry i forgot to mention that i would like to turbo it but i would like to know a decent setup to put in it so i dont just buy parts for a non turbo motor and then have to change them once i put a turbo on.

oh im prepared for that but it will be fun :) its my first gas vehicle build. i already build up my truck good enough for a daily driver so i want to make something new

hey, i own a 98 eagle talon esi. and it has a 420a in it as well.

if your looking to turbo charge your 420a i would suggest building the bottom end with stronger pistons and rods. and add a camshaft to the cylinder head. upgrade your fuel pump and injectors. you will also need a way to add and subtract fuel for when you enter boost.

i have a fully built 420a motor, but im still collecting parts for the final swap which will be later this year. i have spent about 9k in parts alone for the engine. i have a stroker crank, .020" overzised pistons, eagle h-beam rods, cleveite rods and main bearings and a lot more into it. here's a link to my own thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/469506-1998-eagle-talon-street-build-monster.html

dont be afraid to ask the 420a guys for help when you need it.

would it be important for me to over bore it or witll that make the bottom end easier to blow up?

boring the cylinders oversized will only change your engine displacement a little and usually boring the cylinders happens when the cylinder is out of round and or tapered too much causing the need for over sized bores and larger pistons to fit the bores. if you bore the cylinders and dont over size the pistons you will get whats called piston shimmy. in other words the stock piston no longer fits the over sized bore any longer.

as for your bottom end blowing up when you bore the cylinders and use over sized pistons it wont make your bottom end blow up if you use the correct parts and bore the cylinders to the correct size for the new pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back