The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

98cas in a 95head in a 97 car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonsaysr1

Proven Member
Jan 30, 2016
Rocky mount, North_Carolina
I have to replace the headgasket. so while i was at it i was going to clean up the rough casting , and put in springs/retainers and 272 or 280 camshafts. some new arp head studs, and adjustable cam gears. I went ahead and ordered some Hks adjustable cam gears to make me commit to the cam swap only to realize that my 95 head had the cas under the intake cam gear. . If i install a 98 threaded intake camshaft from dks, would i be able to find a solution to mount a 1g cas or 98cas, or is there another method . If not i will return them, the previous owner has a 95 head in a 97 car? i need to pull the head to see if its warped after my brothers wedding. if it is warped, ill try to find a 98 head.

Last edited:
You can install a 1g cas easily enough, most aftermarket cams have the slit on the intake for it, then you just need to wire it in.

I literally just saw a post on an older thread where someone mentioned a 97 cas install haha:thumb: . I think thats what ill do for the solution to this problem. hopefully when I pull the head its not warped.

I literally just saw a post on an older thread where someone mentioned a 97 cas install haha:thumb: . I think thats what ill do for the solution to this problem. hopefully when I pull the head its not warped.
Ive done that also, just drill and tap the intake cam and your good after you wire the 97' sensor in.

so when i order my dks cams, should i get the 2g dsm or 1g set? I've heard they are identical to each other so it shouldn't matter. I believe they are both slotted as well, but not 100% sure. and the wires should directly match correct? if so a 1g black top cas doesn't sound like a bad route to go.

Also with the cam gears I purchased. The timing marks didn't seem to line up when the dowel holes are at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_20190403_154312267.jpg
    IMG_20190403_154312267.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Also with the cam gears I purchased. The timing marks didn't seem to line up when the dowel holes are at the top.

They could be for an Evo, but to me the marks look horrendously off, like 15*+ of counter-clock-wise. DSM gear marks should be almost exactly 90* from the pin hole. They look like Evo gears per a Google image search for "Evo 8 cam timing":
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah the guy I purchased these from said they were for a dsm.. maybe he lied to me. But they do look way off.
Probably didn't have a clue or bought them for the wrong application himself.

Could i have it set to 15* retarded to make it correct for TDC? then score a new timing mark at 90*?
Compare them to stock gears and see where that gets you. Could always buy Evo cams :idontknow:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back