The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 98 Eclipse GS-T Burning oil problem?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabomba

Probationary Member
Jun 8, 2010
channahon, Illinois
I have a 98 eclipse gs-t with 134,xxx miles on body and rebuilt motor head up was done at about 96,xxx. The car earlier blew out the whitish-blue smoke and you could smell the burning oil only when idling for long period of time ( more than 15mins) then would puff out a large ball of smoke when i put it in drive and hit the gas. Before it was not bad at all about a year ago and i would only be a half quart max low on oil after 2,000 miles. Well progressively it has gotten worse. The worst is idling for a long time and/or driving for a long period (over an hour or two). It puffs out a tad bit out the exhaust when i start it sometimes. Yesterday i was coming home in stop n go traffic and after 45 mins it started pouring out smoke out the back and you could smell that burning oil smell and didnt stop until i got home. I checked the oil this morning and it was almost two quarts low (not good!). i did alot of work previously on this car because the ppl who rebuilt it were retards (pardon my language). Blown turbo? Piston Rings? valve seals??

sorry for long post and did a compression and leak down test about 3 months ago and everything seemed good.

Remove the outlet pipe from the compressor housing, and see if there is a noticeable amount of oil in the tube. There will be residue, but you should be able to tell the difference if that amount of oil is coming from the turbo.

If it looks relatively clean, then you either have oil leaking down into the cylinder from the head (valve seals) or up from the rings.

If it happens at light cruising and idle, I would think you are looking at oil from the turbo.

First thing i would do is do a compression test and let us know the results , then we can move onto other things it makes it easier to diagnose your problem.

My 420a is burning oil too, I thought it was a leak, because I did a oil change 2500 miles ago, 3 and a half weeks later its almost no oil at all... where did it go.. dunno

thank you for advice guys. i will be checking for any considerable amount of oil in the intake pipes. (i do recall that turbos throw up a little oil but nothing to write home about). and also do a compression test once i can find time between school and work.

Check intercooler pipping for oil pretty east cheack, then do a compression test.

you might have wanna check the valve/valve seats. these are in the cylinder head and when they get worn down oil can pass through the intake or exhaust valve and be burned up with the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. its gonna be a real task to figure out if this is it but its worth it.

you might have wanna check the valve/valve seats. these are in the cylinder head and when they get worn down oil can pass through the intake or exhaust valve and be burned up with the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. its gonna be a real task to figure out if this is it but its worth it.

Not correct... it would be valve stem to valve guide clearance, but the valve seals will have to fail first.

Now OP, what you first explain, the oil smoke at long idle, and then the puff of smoke on take off are classic signs of wore out valve seals.

Now the next part you said after 45 mins of driving it went to pouring smoke.

If you look like a skeeter truck going down the road now, that is turbo or bad rings.

So inspect the turbo for excessive shaft play, and do a leak down test

Last edited:
Not correct... it would be valve stem to valve guide clearance, but the valve seals will have to fail first.

Now OP, what you first explain, the oil smoke at long idle, and then the puff of smoke on take off are classic signs of wore out valve seals.

Now the next part you said after 45 mins of driving it went to pouring smoke.

If you look like a skeeter truck going down the road now, that is turbo or bad rings.

So inspect the turbo for excessive shaft play, and do a leak down test

well usually if the turbo is bad cant you hear it spool up and down? because the last time my turbo had shaft play you could hear it plain as day.

Sometimes, now what you hear with alot excessive shaft play in the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing.
Now the oil seal may have split and spraying oil into the exhaust causing the smoke.
Also the oil return line from the turbo could be kinked, too small or collasped any of these will cause the oil to build up in the turbo and force oil past a seal

I checked all the intake pipes and no signs of considerable amount of oil just very little residue. very little to no shaft play on turbo in-out left-right. checked oil return line and oil feed line to and from turbo and the line is good with no kinks or such. doing compression and leak down test later today. i also noticed how much oil is caked in the front of my engine prob about head all the way down to the oil pan in the front on a lot of things. hoping that was just oil from back awhile ago two of the exhuast manifolds bolts loosened up cause the previous mechanic did not tighten them enough and eventually loosened up to get a nice white smoke under the hood and oil burning/dripping out the exhaust mani over everything....

Have you pulled the turbo exhaust housing? Look for excess oil there also

If you have oil leaking from between the head and the exhaust flange of the turbo mani, then that is an issue to be delt with, good chance the seals are hard and shot and need replaced. The valve guides need to be checked also, but to check the valve guides, the head will have to come off.

If you have that much oil caked around the engine, please pull the time belt cover and inspect your time belt for premature wear and aging from being oil soaked.

my timing belt is brand new as it was done two months ago when my water pump went out on me. Didnt have time to check turbo exhaust housing because had a bigger issue to be addressed too. compression was good and the spark plugs didnt have any oil on it and looked like my car was running a tad lean which is better than it having oil crap on it. Well looked under car and noticed smoke coming out of bottom of my car. so happen had to exhaust leaks one in the back by the axle and another middle front on the flex pipe. so happens that i guess on tuesday that idot mowers flung metal debris in front of my car while driving and i thought it hit my bumper and went off the side. well looked at my bumped and it was fine cept today i looked at the exhaust and saw those two problems. The back pipe bent the stock exhaust pipe to half its size and formed a good penny sized hole in the back of it from the pressure build up. 325 bucks down the tube for a full exhaust...fml.

My guess would be the seal on the turbine side of the turbo. If it were valve seals than it wouldn't smoke real bad. It would smoke some but not pour it out. The turbo on the other hand will. Being that the plugs were clean and compression is good i would suspect that the bottom end is fine.

thanks for the advice guys. my fellow dsm friend (more dsm knowledge than me) is going to port out a 14b he has for me thats rebuilt and we will slap that on their next weekend with the new gaskets and j pipe and such. ill keep you posted on how she's running after install

Honestly check the intake side first ### it's easy but I had the same problem on a my 97 2g but if thats clean check the turbine side take the down pipe and dump pipe and Check for play and oil on the turbo

alright i have an update. I removed old t25 and now installed a 14b turbo with hard piping to smic and such. everything went good besides that the parts i ordered all had one thing missing that was supposed to come with it so it became a nightmare.. anyways. i installed it last saturday with a new o2 sensor and cleared the codes. we primed the turbo with oil and everything with new gaskets all around. Well two days later and now im starting to smoke again. only when the engine is warm and idling for awhile at a stop sign or light for a while and i can see smoke coming out the back of the exhaust... not as heavy as before but still coming ou with a thinner white smoke with maybe tint of blue in it? the turbo is good that we put on and everything sealed good. and now two codes came up. p0446 and p0403. Seems like more problems exist :banghead: Could this smoke somehow be just a brand new exhaust being installed 1 week ago and that theres no cat so its just getting broken in or what? its a 2 and half inch exhaust starting at flex pipe to the end with a muffler at the end with no cat and a bungholed socket for second o2 sensor. my mpg is back to normal. except still smoking. engine now or just exhaust or something simple that i hope so she can finally run normal for once.. i can link a video of me revving the engine up and having it idle with the smoke coming out of the exhaust if that helps any. just ask for it. also will it smoke with no cat or what. im lost and frustrated.:banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back