The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 GSX - Poor Acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gh0st1981

Probationary Member
Aug 18, 2010
Kilgore, Texas
My 97 GSX AWD Turbo has horrible acceleration problems! I was warned about the problem when I bought the car, but was assured it was a relatively easy fix. My check engine light came on, so I took it to Autozone and hooked it up to get the codes. It gave me the P1750 code which is a faulty transmission solenoid assembly, poor electrical connection, or dirty/low fluid levels. Autozone doesn't carry the solenoid assembly, and can't even order one. I changed out the fluid and the internal filter and it accelerates a little better. I also noticed it seems to be taking longer to shift out of first gear than it should. The RPMs seem consistent with the acceleration and it doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping, it just takes forever to get up to speed. Is replacing the solenoid an easy fix or should I start looking for a transmission shop?

Last edited:
Internal transmission repair is generally not for the dyi customer the is why alot of autoparts stores do not sell many internal trans parts. Try downloading the Dsm shop Manuel to see the difficulty of the job. If you search here you will find te link to the download. I would find it but I don't have time now. Hope this helps

Is replacing the solenoid an easy fix or should I start looking for a transmission shop?

Replacing the solenoid is fairly easy. Jack up the car, put it on stands. drain the trans fluid. drop the trans pan. Disconnect the wires going to the vb and run it back into the trans so its coming back into the trans. The vb is right there when you drop the pan. As far as buying the solenoids, just stop by any trans repair shop and have them order you a set. Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back