The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

General 97 gst ecu in a 99 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97 to 99 ecus As far as the car running are plug and play... .

But, there is the Issues of the readiness monitors and various Emissions things that you won't be able to get around with a 97 that you would with a 99 ecu.

When you say the 99 ecu isn't working right what is the problem exactly?

it keeps throwing a miss fire code but the car runs fine even had my mechanic check it and he says that the computer is bad and should try and find a replacement. not really worried about emissions cause they dont have that where is live but was wondering if the 97 ecu can be scanned with ob2 scannner if it has any codes.

You mechanic doesn't sound like they now what they are talking about, But I'm not at the car so it's hard to say for 100% what the problem may be...

If it's just a code that is a easy fix.. . and Yes you can log and Read codes with either Ecu.

I would need to know a bit more about your setup and what all has been checked over to say anything for sure though. Are you running a 1g CAS by chance? if so then likely then likely the problem... .

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of getting a new ECU, why don't you try plugs (with the proper gap) and wires first? 6 bolt swap or still stock 7 bolt? I don't think your ECU is bad.

i took the car to gary marsh at speed injected. the engine is totally 99 spec with a turbo upgrade and supporting mods. i did the plug change and new spark plug wires from the dealer and they had the car for a month trying to figure out what was wrong and the only thing they found was the computer problem like i was saying the car runs fine its just that the check engine light bothers me i hate seeing it on.

I would email ECMTuning and have them evaluate your ECU before buying a new one.

Didn't know Tom and Dave did Anything with 98/99 Ecu's... Do they? I mean I'm sure they could just didn't think they did... .

OP if it's just a CE that's wrong you can simply flash the ECU to get ride of the code for good... Also FYI if there was something wrong in-fact with the ECU a 97 would be a down grade from a 98/99 as they can be tuned and Flashed with a Openpert 2.0 cable(depending on the Board in them) and the 97 can not... .

I'm pretty sure they can still open it it and properly evaluate it. Wether they can do anything with it or choose to, that's a different story, which is why an email to them is proper prior to sending it out.

I have the same issue on my 99 GsT,.. Kept throwing p0300 code and egr solenoid and I checked everything and was still the same then I swapped in a 97 ecu and ran the car for afew days then swapped back to the 99 and now it throws a TPS malfunction code only ..

+1 for getting ecmlink

You can also buy another 99 ecu, but its time to think about buying dsmlink v3.

Do either of you even realize a 98+99 is a tuning solution with a openport cable??? I have flashable ecus sitting around I. could toss right now in my car and run SD an do the same thing. as link.

Besides the op wasn't Asking anything of the sorts...

I was thinking i should just upgrade to a standalone like the aem or dta cause that was my plan to begin with.

IMHO I would run a 98-99 Or Evo Ecu over any AEM EMS anyday in about 98% of the cars on here... .

Good luck either way;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back