The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

95 Talon TSI, AWD manual???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gtalonjem

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Terre Haute, Indiana
Hello fellow DSMers,
I am starting a journal of my build, it sounds pretty upfront, 95 Talon TSI AWD with a 5 speed manual transmission. That's what I thought when talking to the kid I purchased it from. I found the car on craigslist about three hours away, it's a running car so I was very happy with that considering my other Talon is in pieces. I also have never owned a turbo'd car. So when I had the chance to get a running awd for pretty cheap I jumped at the chance. I asked all the common questions (mileage, oil changes, rust issues) for $500 hundred I could never expect a new car. I know that there would be flaws and blemishes. I took the long drive to pick it up and found that it has some pretty bad strut tower rust on the drivers side. I wasn't to concerned, after paying the kid and driving away I found that 2nd gear would engage but you had to put a lot of force in it, and 3rd gear was none existent. Well after getting it home I did further investigating and found that one of the previous owners did the six bolt swap, I was pretty excited at seeing that, then I found that they disconnected the AWD and put a FWD transmission in, not too excited about that. I looked for the rear diff when I purchased it, and seen it was there so I just assumed it was AWD. Well after further investigation I have reason to believe that my car was once an auto transmission rather than a 5-speed manual, so again another surprise, I believe it was once an auto because of the transmission cooler at the front and my auto transmission cooler light coming on inside. I have not confirmed 100% if it was an auto but I'm pretty sure. So I am planning on getting the AWD back on the car, fix all the little issues I have and eventually get it ready for the strip. This thread will let you all see my struggle to that point. Any help would be appreciated and a little encouragement would be very helpful.

yowza... that sounds like a serious commitment, but cheap price. If it was auto then you may need a manual rear end or convert back to auto, theyre different ratios and thats probably why it isnt hooked up

Last edited:
Well this car is full of surprises, I am preparing to pull the motor so that I can fix the transmission issue first I thought I would pull the turbo and then go from there, well to much of my surprise my "14b" turbo ended up being an eBay 16g, I can't catch a break with this thing. I have an actual Mhi evo 3 already. I just wanted to use that turbo for my 3G eclipse. So some more disappointing news with the talon.

In the end you got a 500 awd shell. The parts not be all there suppose to be but you have a running 6 bolt, and awd rear end. From the sounds of things you could either continue to bring this car to life or swap parts to another fwd body. All depends on you and what you want to with the car.

Just keep at her and get that thing running, then you'll be very happy with your 500 investment. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back