The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 GSX Back From The Dead. "Here we go again...again..."

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High PSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
USA, Australia
History:

I originally bought this car back in 2002 when I was in college. When I originally purchased the car I noticed the clutch was slipping, so I bought it with the intent of just replacing the clutch, upping the boost a bit, and leaving it at that. I had the clutch replaced with an ACT 2600 before I went up to school for the semester, and I thought all would be good. However, about six months later and three weeks before the semester ended, the T25 exploded. I was in college a good 400-miles from home and couldn't afford a tow home or to pay to have it fixed, so my father bought me a tool kit and sent it to me for my birthday instead.

With nothing but a basic Craftsman tool kit and the DSM forums as my guide, I began working on my car all by myself for the first time (I had a Camaro that I had worked on before, but always under my father's supervision....which means basically just holding the tools as he worked on it). Out came the T25, in went a 14B that I ported myself in my friends basement, and an MBC, boost gauge, and down pipe.

I remember the first time I cranked the car over and, after a few loops in the parking lot, opened it up. HOLY (*&%! :rocks: It was the fastest thing I'd ever driven...and it was all thanks to my own work. A few days later I had to drive the car home 400-miles. The car made the trip without any issues, and I even out-ran a new Mustang GT with an exhaust that tried to mess around with me on the highway. I was hooked... :hellyeah:

..and I probably would have just done slight modifications over time as I was on a tight college budget, but the car had other ideas and kept breaking. Every time I blew something up on the car, I replaced it with what was pretty much the best replacement available if I knew it would be a part that would be hard to replace later. For example, when the tranny blew shortly thereafter, I saved up and in went a fully built TRE race tranny. After that, the timing belt snapped (the day before I started my first post-college job). I saved up again and, over the course of three winter months (working on the car on weekends in the driveway when it wasn't snowing) I dropped in a fully build head, sidemount, 550 injectors, and DSM link. The car was now bring built for Auto-x so everything I did at this point was in an effort to have a fast spooling setup, but the car was still respectably fast. GTech and DSMLink logs suggest the car was making about 320CHP and was capable of high 12's. It was short lived, however.

~1,300 miles later, the engine took a dump on itself on the way home from work on a long 3rd gear pull up a hill. Broke, tired, and beaten, I towed the car home and vowed I would never work on cars again.

That was March 12th, 2005. The car hasn't moved since.

Transition:

Long story short, while I never had the motivation to touch the GSX again, I did get into other projects. I lightly built a 1G Subary Legacy Turbo SS and a auto-xed and road-raced a slightly built 1G Audi TT. My latest project, however, was a Turbo 2JZ Lexus SC300. This car is heavily modified to exactly what I want it to be, and it's fully restored my love for modifying.

Why Now:

I've just been granted a permanent residency visa for Australia. Right now, I'm home on a 2-3 month "travel" visa that has allowed me to return home to tie up loose ends before I move to Australia...most likely permanently (I only plan on returning home to the states for holidays or vacations).

My parent's have given me two options for the Eclipse:

1) Sell it

2) Fix it and get it the hell out of the driveway (I have a place I can store it for free)

At first I thought, do I really want to keep it? The SC300 is staying, and I'm more than happy to drive this car exclusively on my short-stints back to the US. The only problem is, over the years I've become a road-race junkie and the car is far too pretty (and has way too much body work done) to use on the track, and the car was built to be the ultimate GT/Road car, not a track car. If I want to build a track car, I'm going to build a track car without worrying about comfort. Plus I've got a lot of my own personal time into the GSX, and the drivetrain is built...all it really needs is a new engine...and I do need a car I can drive in the winter if I come home for X-mas...

The Plan:

Get the car drive-able, for as cheaply as possible, as quickly as possible.

Here's what the car has now:

Engine Mods -
Injen Intake
Magnecore Race Wires
Brode Upper Intercooler Pipe
HKS SSQV BOV
Custom 14B Turbo Kit
Ported 14B Turbo
Ported O2 housing
Exhaust Depot 2.5"-3" Downpipe/Testpipe (with mild porting)
Custom Air Box
Fuel Pump Rewire
Walbro 190HP Fuel Pump
Ported Exhaust Manifold
TRE Thermocouple
Thermal Research and Development 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
Rear O2 Sensor Bypass
34mm TRE Wastegate
Supra SMIC w/ Custom Piping, Air Duct, and Mod. Fender Well
DSM Link (V1?)
550cc Injectors
Built 2g Head (Crower springs and titanium retainers, HKS 264 cams, sodium filled exhaust valves and black nitride coated swirl polished intake valves)

Drivetrain Mods-
Act 2600 Clutch
RRE Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line
TRE full racing AWD transmission
-TRE steel shift rails
-TRE-spec EVO III shift forks w/ Bronze wear pads
-Double synchro GVR-4 1st gear
-Heavy duty double synchro 2nd, 3rd & 4th gearsets
-Heavy duty intermediate shaft
-Speed Design 4 spider center differential w/ Spohn Racing Torrington Bearing Mod
-Neodymium trash magnet & oil filter
Polyurethane Shift Kit

Brakes:
Rear Brembo Slotted/Dimpled Rotors
Front Brembo Blank Rotors
Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads Front and Rear
Speed Bleeders Installed at All Four Corners
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines At All Four Corners

Suspension:
Front and Rear RM Racing Sway Bars

Interior Mods -
Aluminum Dash Bezel
White Reverse Indiglo Gauges
Converted Dash Needles and Trip/Odometer lights to Red (was Orange)
HKS Type-1 U.S. Spec Turbo Timer
APEXi Mechanical Boost Gauge
Lotek Triple Gauge Pod Pillar
Painted Center Vent/HVAC Control Plastic Gloss Black
Wired Blue LEDs inplace of orange bulbs in Center Vent/HVAC/Cruise/Fog/Mirrors
APEXi Electronic EGT Gauge with Peak/Hold/Warning
Hard-wired in Cobra Radar Detector

Stereo-
Alpine CDA-9807 CD/MP3 Player
Inifinity Basslink 10" sub
Infinity Reference 6x9's
Infinity Reference Components

Apperance (other)-
97-99 OEM Front Bumper
97-99 Headlights
Catz XSL Driving Lights in Stock Fog Light Positions
Painted Calipers Red
Mesh Added to Front Bumper Openings

Here's what's going in the car:
Note: I already have this engine as a spare...just never had the time or motivation to drop it in.

~SLOW BOY RACING 2.3 Stoker with Approx 5K on it~
4G63 6 Bolt Block
2.4L Crankshaft
85.5mm Bore (.020 over)
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Wiseco Forged Stroker Pistons
New Topline Front Cover w/ Oil Pump Gears
Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit
New TRW Water Pump
Motor Mount Driver Side
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs
Timing Belt Kit Fully Installed and Timed
Mitsubishi Cam Gears
Comp 101200 Cams
4G63 Oil Pan
Oil Pickup Tube

~Stage IV Head~
100% Hot Tanked
Fully Pressure Checked
Competition Valve Job
Stage IV Port Work
New Valve Stem Seals
Stainless Steel Swirl Polished, and Undercut Valves
New Valve Guides
Manley Springs
Manley Titanium Retainers
Fully Decked Head Surface
valve cover
ACT Flywheel,
act 2600 clutch
Mitsu Factory New Cam Sensor
oil filter relocated

Other Parts I think I'll need for the rebuild (IF YOU HAVE THESE AVAILABLE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME):
-1G CAS-$50
-1G Oil Cooler
-Magnus Motorsports 1g in a 2g Harness

Anything else? Please let me know.

Well guys, wish me luck...tomorrow I drop the gas tank to drain the 8.5 year old gas.:ohdamn:

(Pics coming soon - having problems uploading...)

Saved for future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back