1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 91 fwd tsi intermediate shaft and axle mod vs lsd

Posted by Dsm panda, Dec 12, 2017

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    Hey on the fence if I should go for a lsd or do the equal halfshafts. I have horrible wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Car has about 340hp at the wheels (was dyno tested before I purchased the car i have the sheet in the car).
    Basicly I wanna know is does anyone out there have the equal halfshafts in a fwd and did it dramaticly reduce torq steer because as it is the car will go straight for the curb or ditch if I get on it at low speeds. I wanna know should I go lsd or axles.

993  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    327 whp · 307 lb/ft · 1G DSM

Street Build 603  2

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    The FWD diff is an open differential. Even with equal length half shafts you will still be puting power down to only 1 tire. A LSD put power down to both tires. You will get a lot less torque steer with a LSD.

3. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    That's what I was thinking from what if read I just wasn't sure if equal length axles would be enough to counter some of that torq steer. Time to start saving.
    Thanks!

993  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build 603  2

fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Derek232

Derek232 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 9, 2016
    Thornton, Colorado
    If you can afford it you should do both. My buddy has a FWD and he's going to the equal half shafts to avoid breaking the driver side axle. From what I have heard it does make them more stable as well.

Derek232

170  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 483  5

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 1G DSM
  5. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    I plan to do both eventually i was just hoping the half shaft would make a big difference while i saved for an lsd. Does he have an lsd? If not you should ask how noticeably better it was for me my hope was to hear from some one who did the half shaft mod but had an open dif.

993  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build 603  2

fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    The axle thingy will not make much of a difference while the power is only being transmitted to one tire at any given time. The axles really have little to do with torque steer. Torque steer is the result of the offset between the center of the tire's contact patch (pivot point) & the steering knuckle axis of rotation.

7. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    Well that's kinda what i want to eliminate is torqe steer by makeing equal length halfshafts. Its scary bad like put you into the curb once you get on it bad.

993  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build 603  2

fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. drcolt

drcolt Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    So are the intermediate shafts the same between the 90 fwd DSM and the AWD?

Street Build 841  6

1989 dodge colt gt
    fwd · manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 867  2

1988 dodge colt 100 lx sedan turbo
    299 whp · 286 lb/ft · 4G63t Swapped
  9. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Dstarperformance01 and Dsm panda like this.
  10. drcolt

drcolt Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Yes I have come across that thread as well. The issue, or not issue, I have not experienced it myself, is a brother in Florida says he tried an intermediate shaft in his setup, the shaft fits in the tranny but the bearing bracket doesn't line up with the block. Which I find odd. He doesn't recall what year his tranny is. He may have a 92+ year tranny which may be causing the misalignment.
    Both my CSM (2g and 3g) have the same bracket but use the respective year stock CSM axle.
    I wonder if there are different bearing brackets for the intermittent shaft. I need to keep searching to kill my curiosity.

Btw, my 88 Colt has a 90 6 bolt block with 90 fwd tranny with b&m LSD insert and equal length shafts. I still get one wheel peel sometimes, the insert definitely helped, but I would advise that for the labor, don't bother with an lsd insert, if the tranny is apart anyway just install a true lsd.
    I've never experienced different length shafts, so can't comment on how much equal length shafts help.

Street Build 841  6

1989 dodge colt gt
    fwd · manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 867  2

1988 dodge colt 100 lx sedan turbo
    299 whp · 286 lb/ft · 4G63t Swapped
  11. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    there are multiple year intermediate shafts and brackets. If I recall the differences are 1g/2g/manual and auto. So pick 1g auto or manual or 2g auto or manual. Shouldn't matter if you put a 2g trans in a 1g (for those reading). Pick the bracket and shaft for the car first, then manual or auto if I recall correctly. Mitsu ASA or CAPS lookup will tell you quite quickly.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Dsm panda likes this.
  12. Andrew99eclipse

Andrew99eclipse Probationary Member

Joined Sep 4, 2019
    Rufus, Oregon
    Where can I find a fwd LSD?

90  1

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM