1G 91 Eclipse to Laser Rear End Conversion

Posted by Mikey851, Dec 15, 2016

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Mikey851

Mikey851 Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2014
    Lubbock, Texas
    Has anyone ever converted their Eclipse or Talon rear end to the Laser rear end? For whatever reason I tend to think it is the best looking rear end of all of them (Kind of up in the air on the different spoilers) as far as the tail lights and center section.

On one hand I like the Eclipse tails with the single light reminiscent of Cyclops on Xmen (Yes that was very nerdy), but sometimes I look at it and think that it is what makes the car look old and in some people's eyes ugly. To mean the separated tails on the Laser or at least the darker tails of the Talon look better.

Just thought i'd throw this out as a topic and also ask which rear end you prefer? I am a fan of keeping DSM stock looking for the most part, but I believe there are stock-like enhancements that can make it look better. Might as well ask about the front end while i'm at it. What do you guys like on the front end? I am thinking about doing a sleepy eye conversion. I've seen the pop up deletes a la 300zx's and it kind of looks okay, but at the same time I don't like trying to mimic other cars.

2. DJRace

DJRace Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2017
    Walla Walla, Washington
    Did you end up converting your facia? I like the 2g eagle talon rear facia most. There are some aerodynamic benefits from not raising the headlights, all the way, if you run the car at higher speeds. I like how that looks.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Rally Build

16g   manual
    Mikey851 likes this.
  3. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    rear end.JPG OP, it's an easy swap, drill the bumper bracket that holds up the bumper across the body and lower it about a ~1 1/2" and refastened via welding or nuts and bolts. Of course use the Laser taillight to get an exact measurement but you get the idea.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Mikey851 likes this.
  4. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    My vote is for the Laser look. I always liked the Laser rear AND the Laser front lip as well. I thought the best looking setup ... almost looked like a Mazda RX-7 of that vintage.

Some of them had a super-sweet rear deck spoiler as well :laser:

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

13.876 @ 106.97 MPH
    Mikey851 likes this.
  5. Mikey851

Mikey851 Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2014
    Lubbock, Texas
    Thanks for the replies! I have a set of red laser tails and center section, but I haven't done anything with them yet. I have such a laundry list of things to take care of that it has had to fall down in priority. Right now I am just getting into my clutch...it is dragging/not disengaging at high rpm. If I shift nice and slow with the pedal to the floor no issues, but rush it and I am blocked with a little buzz from the synchro... Got some adjustment left in the master then may replace the slave...then if that doesn't work shim the pivot ball.