The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 7Bolt 4g63T thrust bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khubs

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2010
Roseville, California
Hey tuners,

Getting into the rebuild and had a question around thrust bearings. I searched but wasn’t sure I found the correct answer.

I appreciate it.

Feeling pretty good just running into a question with the thrust bearing.

My understanding is 97+ came with 3 piece bearings which was basically a main bearing and 2 thrust washers.

However when I pulled everything apart it looks like this is the 1 piece thrust bearing style. I have no evidence to think this motor has ever been torn into and replaced so I guess I’m wondering if the 97-98 years came with either option depending on the build date.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I ordered parts and this is what came which is the 3 piece for 98s.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Upon researching the 2 are not interchangeable so I will need to get the right bearings, but just wanted some people’s opinion who have torn in these before.

It's 98+ that had the split-thrust bearing design. I'd say if yours doesn't have the split-thrust design, your engine was likely replaced at some point.
I don't believe that they had some split, some two-piece post-1998. Considering it was a beneficial redesign, there is no need to produce the 2-piece bearing design in some of the cars, then the split-thrust in others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back