The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

50 trim for 50 bucks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
so im thinking about picking up my buddys percision 50 trim just needs new seals because it smoked alot before he replaced it with a 16g. just curious if its worth picking up for 50 bucks and getting it rebuilt?

Depends whether it really just needs seals and can be repaired with a standard rebuild, or it's a complete disaster with tons of shaft play and damage to both wheels.

Oil burning with Precision journal bearing turbos is as common as seeing a tree in someone's house at Christmas time....but if there's wheel damage, no need to waste $50.

i barley has any in and out or side to side always felt solid to me all the fins looked good...im just curious if i should waste the 50 bones or just save it for other go fast parts i need for my build

Save it for some other go fast parts. Ull need a lot of mods to support that turbo

My short block and head are at the machine shop right now. I have most of the goodies besides a turbo. I have another thread on my build.

The 50 trim is not bad at all for a street turbo. I picked mine up for about 350 bux including the rebuild kit and rebuilt the turbo myself. They are not very difficult as long as the intermediate shaft is not bent and the impellers are not damaged as Jus said. I think the rebuild kit was 50-100 bux and I rebuilt it in an afternoon. Would have been faster if the wife would have left me alone. And by supporting mods, they mean a fuel system to feed it, injectors to go with it, and an intercooler to cool the charge. You will overrun a stocker. If you have all that and a way to log and tune, your golden. And a 50 trim would make a good addition. Mine is the SCM5031 and I am at full boost (10psi right now) about 3100rpm. I had a bad knock sensor and just replaced it. I will be adding boost soon. When I had my MBC on there it was 20+psi by 3300rpm. I could have probably done better but was not really getting good pulls with a bad knock sensor and constant timing being pulled.

I just looked at your mod list. Not bad, but 550's will be over run real fast with a turbo of that size. I have 680's in right now and pull 70-75% duty on them under load. You may want to figure out what injectors you will need. Figure your BSFV required and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back