The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

5 speed t-case on an Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20psimitsu

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 22, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
Installed a standard transfer case on a 90 GSX auto and wanted to know if anyone has had any problems doing this. Also wanted to see if there were any downsides to doing this.

if i remember the bolting pattern is diffrent and the gear ratio is also diffrent. I'll have to find my book to see for sure..

The A/T and M/T transfer cases show the same 24/22 ratio on VFAQ:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html

I would say the only problem would be in 2g's, and mixing late model T-case(2gb) with an early model transmission(2ga) or vice-versa:
Transmission Videos (2g gear set identification)

VFAQ states nothing about this in the chart which concerns me a little.

I thought it should be brought up; although I don't have enough experience to say definitively one way or the other.

My bad, i was told what ever the trans, make sure to have the matching Tcase. but yeah the splines would be diff.. my bad..

Didn't know if there was a difference between the two so, I figured that I'd ask. Thanks to all of ya'll for the info.:thumb:

They won t work.. The A/T and M/T case design is a little different.

The transfer case is in three parts; front, middle, rear...The middle section can be switched out and is the only VISUAL mounting difference between the auto and manual cases..The internals I know nothing for sure.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back