The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g64, cylinder 2 misfire/not firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouchtime

Probationary Member
Oct 14, 2012
N. Wilkesboro, North_Carolina
Have a 2000 rs, just had it throw a cylinder 2 misfire code, had no power when I limped it home, have replaced sparkplugs last fall, tried swapping coilpacks to check for bad coil. Anyone have ideas where to start from here, it stops missing at higher rpms, am wondering what could cause it to miss at lower than 3g-ish, but corrects at higher. Open to suggestions/ideas.

Have a 2000 rs, just had it throw a cylinder 2 misfire code, had no power when I limped it home, have replaced sparkplugs last fall, tried swapping coilpacks to check for bad coil. Anyone have ideas where to start from here, it stops missing at higher rpms, am wondering what could cause it to miss at lower than 3g-ish, but corrects at higher. Open to suggestions/ideas.

Break it down to the basics my friend. Three things are needed for combustion >>air >>fuel source >>spark (ignition source).

You checked the spark it sounds like, did you check the fuel injector? Might be clogged or have gone bad.

pull the plugs and look at them, did you gap plugs correctly? I would guess coil packs even though you have looked at them...

Checked, injectors, got spark, and air, tested coil packs, it wont even stay running now, keeps stalling, and last time I tried to start (after checking injectors) it ran for a min. then as it stalled there was a bit of smoke from right side of engine bay, will check compression in morning.

Found the problem, the spring in the bottom of the coil pack on top of cyl #2 wasn't making contact with the sparkplug, stretched it back out and it purrs again:) thanx for the advise and suggestions fellas:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back