The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g63 cold air intake done right !!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dejon sells an adapter for cone filters. I think it has a 4" diameter mouth and bolts right to the MAS. I got mine from him.

It let me advance timing because I was seeing 140 intake temps with my tubular mani and everything else.

I didn't log lbs/min after though sorry.

Was your filter in the stock location before? Because I rarely see over 100* intake temps. and this time of year I am seeing the low 70's to high 60's at the track.

Was your filter in the stock location before? Because I rarely see over 100* intake temps. and this time of year I am seeing the low 70's to high 60's at the track.

It let me advance timing because I was seeing 140 intake temps with my tubular mani and everything else.

I didn't log lbs/min after though sorry.

Where are you guys measuring temperature? At the stock MAS?

I know that's what the ECU sees (and therefore a logger) on a stock MAS, but if either of them have a blowthrough setup, then they are measuring somewhere else. I'm wondering if that could account for their temperature differences (besides atmospheric conditions).

Yea before I cut the hole it was in the stock position. The tubular exhaust manifold really soaked the filter when it was in the stock position. I see the same numbers you do now that I have the CAI but without wraps or covers on the exhaust manifold it would soak it easy.

Where are you guys measuring temperature? At the stock MAS?

Yep. Stock MAS using DSMlink.

Dejon sells an adapter for cone filters. I think it has a 4" diameter mouth and bolts right to the MAS. I got mine from him.

I looked and the sell a 6"x6" K&N aif filter with Vibrant adapotr to the 2g MAS.

I found one on ebay but it's a 3"x3" cone and adapter. Did not fine a 4" like the poster above uses. I plan on using the 4" piping. Which should I go with?

I looked and the sell a 6"x6" K&N aif filter with Vibrant adapotr to the 2g MAS.

I found one on ebay but it's a 3"x3" cone and adapter. Did not fine a 4" like the poster above uses. I plan on using the 4" piping. Which should I go with?

It's a 4.5" K&N Intake that I got off ebay. Sorry I don't have the part number off hand. The 4.5" PVC pipes also mate up perfectly with the MAS adapter that is sold also on ebay and talked about earlier in this thread. (Mine came with the car).

So it goes:

4.5" K&N> 4.5" PVC straight> 4.5" 90degree PVC> adapter>MAS :thumb: *Only on a 1g*

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
< 4.5" shitty intake which was replaced> 4.5" Straight
< 4.5" 90* PVC to adapter

Just a word of hydrolockin' warning, don't cut the 4.5" straight piece that long. I had it that length and did suck up water on rediculous downpours. I now cut it basically in half and have had the same performance and no water problems.

Thanks Byrd for that, I have a greddy 24v fmic so I don't think I could do this, unless I route it differently. But you did help me out a lot, I get it now.

Ok i have began doing my cold air intake today. I purchased the 4x3" 90 * pvc piping from home depo motorsports and I followed the instructions of "allgripnoslip" ( see pg 3 of this thread on his take.)
Well with the help of 3 layers of electric tape around the mass adaptor, now the 4in end of the pvc pipe is connected to my 4.5in mass adaptor from pep boys, and the 3in side of the pvc pipe connects to my 4in inlet spectre filter snuggly no problem... Since I already had the filter and adaptor and electric tape, so far the total cost of this project is 8 dollars and some change just on the purchase of the pvc pipe...Now I just need to try to cut away at enough metal from that portion of the chasis to allow it to drop down. I have some friends coming over with different electric cutting tools and we'll see what works, but what in perticular did some of you guys use to cut the metal away?

What if you just use the big ass K&N aif filter and 2gmas, and connect to a custom bent pipe from the snorkel back?

Instead of going through the IC route, go underneath by the coolant overflow and it'll still be in the spot y'all are talking about.

I considered that method but the wire harness going to the 2g maf did not reach. A member from this forum has a setup like your describing, but I forgot their name.

Well I got it all done, the metal was thinner than I thought. After cutting some grooves in it with the electric cutter i was able to smash, and pull some of it back with plyers and hack away at it with tin snips. It took me a bit of manipulating the intake filter to fit down there due to me having a riduculously long licp set up.( Both my intercooler pipes swing around the passenger side and the licp goes over the top of the fmic.) Heres some pics of the finished work. I plan to do a splash guard under and behind the filter for sure as Fl has torential rains in the summer LOL... Also I want to get a metal intake arm hard pipe next as I feel that my stock one looks crappy and isnt good for airflow...

I will log it tommorow when I borrow my friends laptop. Driving impressions: slightly better throttle response, more consistent between pulls, slightly louder intake noise driving around, blow off was louder? And instead of spiking 22psi holding 20, I spike 23psi now 3rd up.... More air getting compressed I suppose. Its 45 degs out approx right now down here. Perhaps another lb/min of air flow gained, either way the car likes it....

What if you just use the big ass K&N aif filter and 2gmas, and connect to a custom bent pipe from the snorkel back?

Instead of going through the IC route, go underneath by the coolant overflow and it'll still be in the spot y'all are talking about.

That was the original way I was going to do it, but then I later decieded this was easier, and this doesnt drop the mass too low to the ground. If I had a gm maft Id do it that way though... The only question is did the 90deg bend of the pvc pipe detriment air flow any?

I would put a AEM air to water valve in there some where if the car is driven in the rain at all.

Hydro lock is not a good thing.

But cooler air is always a good thing.

Ok i have a small problem, i think somethings wrong with my mass air sensor because today my car started breaking up real bad anytime i gave it more tan 40% throttle and it would hardly boost 5lbs before i let off quickly.

Ive already gone thru the process of elimination, the motor,turbo are ok, theres no smoke,no cel>?,no funny noises,ign components seem to be ok, compression is fine,i didnt touch ecu,did boost leak test when i did the cai job, vacuum hoses and mbc is fine, and i didnt touch anything else in the engine bay when doing this cold air intake project other than the 2g mass so im thinking some wires came loose or something? ( Now given, It was running fine all yesterday and I was going full throttle after the cai job was done ) It just started today when driving to work, as long as I dont get on it it drives and spools like normal, after a certain rpm/ or throttle% it starts stuttaring and breaking up....

I would put a AEM air to water valve in there some where if the car is driven in the rain at all.

Hydro lock is not a good thing.

But cooler air is always a good thing.

The AEM valve is not for use on forced induction vehicles. Most of the "you will hydrolock your motor" talk is just that. It has been covered in this thread already.

Ok i have a small problem, i think somethings wrong with my mass air sensor because today my car started breaking up real bad anytime i gave it more tan 40% throttle and it would hardly boost 5lbs before i let off quickly.
Ive ............)

I've got a spare 2g mas if you need it.

I considered that method but the wire harness going to the 2g maf did not reach. A member from this forum has a setup like your describing, but I forgot their name.

We can always extend the wires. Sodering ftw. I feel you though, I'd rather go the IC way but I have no room, what did y'all use to open it up? I have a die grinder and a dremel with a cut off wheel, will that do the job?

( *** This sudden issue doesnt pertain to the cold air intake itself, something I did, so dont feel discouraged to do it, im just wondering if anyone else could throw out any possibilities or experiences w/ something like this; is there anything in that immediate wiring harness area that would be relevant that i couldve cut, because as of right now im stumped...? )

Try disconnecting the 90 degree pvc pipe off the mas.

The AEM valve is not for use on forced induction vehicles. Most of the "you will hydrolock your motor" talk is just that. It has been covered in this thread already.

I actually purchased an AEM valve on my elantra when I was installing a CAI and I have to say that it was cheaply made. The valve increases the length of the tube by about 4 inches and if you look at the valve, it is comprised of a foam insert inside a plastic tube. Now I had a broken motor mount on my car so it caused the engine to shift a lot. This put a flex on my CAI and ended up snapping the valve. Just removing the valve lifted my CAI by 4 inches so I didn't have to worry about hydro lock. All in all, I would never buy this again. It was a waste of money and the plastic is so thin that after a year or 2, it became really brittle and I could just snap it easily in half. Save your money.

d

We can always extend the wires. Sodering ftw. I feel you though, I'd rather go the IC way but I have no room, what did y'all use to open it up? I have a die grinder and a dremel with a cut off wheel, will that do the job?

The metal is very thin actually, so yea that should cut it... Once you cut out a good portion of it, youll be able to smash it back with a hammer, or even peel it back some with some plyers. Even tin snips will cut thru it once youve got it going!

Try disconnecting the 90 degree pvc pipe off the mas.

I dont see why that would cause any problem, but im working on figureing out the issue right now...

Need to take my issue out of this thread especially since I dont think its related to the cai anymore.
If anyone is kind enough to take the time to help me diagnosis my problem enter here http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pro...reving-cant-figure-out-why.html#post151337980

Thanks...

Resume the good cold air intake info and hopefully ill be back to post how much cool air im sucking in with mines when i fix my car !!

Need to take my issue out of this thread especially since I dont think its related to the cai anymore.
If anyone is kind enough to take the time to help me diagnosis my problem enter here http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pro...reving-cant-figure-out-why.html#post151337980

Thanks...

Resume the good cold air intake info and hopefully ill be back to post how much cool air im sucking in with mines when i fix my car !!

Check out the capacitors on the ecu. If they are leaking, then that might be the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back