The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63 cold air intake done right !!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice work there. I've been running my CAI for some time now, and I recommend it to anyone who asks. Been through one heavy rain, no problems.

Its 4.5" aluminum.

Got the filter from SBR.

On the Hack Job: It was cut randomly for air to reach the filter in it's "normal" position, being covered of course. Now it's just ugly :tease:

Attachments

• dsm tuners1.jpg
    dsm tuners1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,918
  • dsm tuners2.jpg
    dsm tuners2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,923
ok down with my airbox.. didn't turn out as good as i wanted too because since i had to relocate the coolant overflow bootle there was a big problem with space, and getting stuff to fit. i will take some pics and upload them tomorrow.

Splitpi said:
Are you really gaining much by having a CAI on a turbo car? The turbo is going to heat it up substantially anyways.

There is a bit fo a debate on this.

There are threads that you can find that show a few counts of knock and a CAI was put on and they dropped to nothing.

IMO yes the turbo will heat up the air, but if the air is starting of cooler then it will only be raised so far. Now the only way to really test this is with a real world tempurature check before and after a CAI. Either way I think mine looks cool so it will stay on. LOL

staticbrainwash said:
But consider how much piping water would have to travel through to get to a gm-mas in blowthru configuration, it still just don't seem like that big of a worry.

Apparently you still dont have a gm MAF setup, with it in the stock location, if we have very heavy rains youw ill notice the car act a little strange for a day. I plunged through a puddle and my maf was soaked. Ducting is a good compromise...

Splitpi said:
Are you really gaining much by having a CAI on a turbo car? The turbo is going to heat it up substantially anyways.

I can't answer that question as i use a gm mas so the iat and barometer signals are locked. But i can tell you that i picked up and extra lb. of air per minute by adding an extension to my intake pipe to put the filter down in the stock sidemount spot . Now wether this was from colder air or air being rammed into the filter at 60 mph i can't say.

D_Eclipse9916 even with it in a blow through setup you can still get water up there. It just happened again yesterday. I left my house and it was just barely drizzling. Within 2 minutes of leaving home it was pouring. I only live 10 minutes from work and i certianly wasn't ripping into work. I stayed out of boost as much as i could. But i still got water into the intercooler. I had to pull it and drain it at work before i could drive home. I'm no longer leaving it on for daily driving. It's not worth the hassle if i forget to take it off.

that would work, its exactly what I am going to do, I just have to build a cold air box to surround the filter so that if I do splash through a puddle it will be protected and the only airflow it gets its through the far passenger vent on a 97 talon bumper.

D_Eclipse9916 said:
Apparently you still dont have a gm MAF setup, with it in the stock location, if we have very heavy rains youw ill notice the car act a little strange for a day. I plunged through a puddle and my maf was soaked. Ducting is a good compromise...

It rained like a bi*** here the other day and the car ran just as it does any other day. Perhaps differnet sensors react differently.

RedTurboEclipse said:
EBAY sells those cheap 2g mas filter adapters WITH a filter for really cheap, then just purchase some pipe and clamps at homedepot and should be good to go. no?

Yes.

If your adapter is 4", get a 4" 90 degree pipe, and connect your filter to one end with the supplied clamp. Then get a 4" coulper with two clamps, and connect the pipe to the adapter.

If it's raining and your concerned, temporarily remove the 90 degree pipe.

Enjoy.

Do you guys mout a bracket so the pipe is secure? or do just have it laying there on the tray of where the old filter use to be? Don't want the pipe looking all limp. LOL

RedTurboEclipse said:
Do you guys mout a bracket so the pipe is secure? or do just have it laying there on the tray of where the old filter use to be? Don't want the pipe looking all limp. LOL

No one wants a limp pipe. ROFL

Mine has a bracket that supports it from one of the holes fromt he old sidemount.

Well I'll speak from experience about hydrolocking. I was going through a Wal-mart parking lot in my 1999RS with my nice new AEM cold air intake and it was raining. I went through a puddle and my car just stalled out. I stopped and tried to start it and I heard this loud SNAP, and that was it. My #4 rod stapped and my crank was bent. My insurance covered the new engine but it took forever to get it installed. But I will be doing this mod to my 1997 TSI AWD. :)

Ok, new advice for anyone that's listening.

As previously mentioned, the CAI has caused no problems in the rain. Even hard rain.

However, when the road becomes a river, and you splash the filter with enough water, bad things happen.

I must say that I now recommend temporarily removing the 90 degree pipe whenever it's raining hard enough for deep puddles to accumulate. Or for the road to turn into a river...

I'm keeping the required tools in the back seat now, as I left for the gym it was fine, came out to massive downpour.

The thing is, you never know what you're going to run into. So obviously you'll just avoid the puddles right? Well fine, but accidents happen. Nobody plans to smash into another car, but it happens.

Not a lecture, just sharing my experience, especially since usually I'm promoting turbo CAI.

:dsm:

I have the Buschar true Cold Air Intake...i've had it for almost a year now, and have driven in the rain PLENTY of times. I have a GM maf in blow-thru and there has been one time that the maf has gotten wet and the car runs like crap. That one time i was on the highway for about 45 minutes in a HUGE downpour with a lot of Semi's and trucks splashing LARGE amounts of water on my car. I was constantly being pelted with water and i boosted a few times, which is probably why i sucked in some water. I've driven long distances in the rain without boosting or whatever and i've had no problems.

So just take it easy on the boosting while raining, try to avoid puddles, and you should be just fine. Making a splash guard is always a good idea. The filter gets pretty nasty down there too.

I've tried 3 different setups and I like my 3rd one the best. The first was just a heat blockoff with fresh air ducting. The second was the filter in the fender which didn't go well for me in the rain either, pia. The third I went back with bigger ducting and blocked off more heat and wrapped intercooler pipes with aluminum backed insulation. The filter is also back in the stock location under the insulation not in the fender anymore. Throttle response is also improved and the faster I go the faster the air goes into the filter location. It works because if I hold my hand behind a peice of it in front of a halogen bulb (and you know how hot they get) I can't feel a thing :sneaky: .

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,462
  • IM000152.JPG
    IM000152.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,438
  • IM000150.JPG
    IM000150.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IM000297.JPG
    IM000297.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,431
  • IM000320.JPG
    IM000320.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1,429
  • IM000322.JPG
    IM000322.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,443
  • IM000299.JPG
    IM000299.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,419
Home Depot of course :D in the insulation section. I didn't get the thick roll but the thin roll. It blocks out heat very well. When I'm working in attics during the summer and the inside of the roof is lined with that then the attic is alot cooler.

wouldnt that also keep heat in?? can i spray water under that so i can keep my pipes even cooler.

K&N Outer Wear filter wraps are said to repel water.
Just a thought for you guys running your filters damn near in front of your bumpers.... :D

Strm Trpr said:
K&N Outer Wear filter wraps are said to repel water.
Just a thought for you guys running your filters damn near in front of your bumpers.... :D

When the filter get dunked in a puddle there's no help for that. But that may be a decent thing for light rain.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back