The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 420a turbo ms2- no spark.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmosiman

Proven Member
Sep 2, 2021
Elkhart, Indiana
Alright, so, tuning is new to me. In fact everything about electronics on a car is new to me besides replacing sensors or pigtails, so forgive me for my ignorance.

In October I got a quote for an MS2 from diyautotune. The guy I spoke with was adamant about me getting the MS3 but that a little pricey. So I went with the MS2 instead. He walked me thru what I would need and and ways to help it be sorta future proof. Right now, I'm running on the OEM wasted spark with a single coil pack but eventually I do want to get COP. So he told me to have the logic level ignition put into the MS2. So, I did.

I had this thing built for me because I don't really know much about wiring up a board and I don't really have the time to learn how. So I get the ms2, I used the 8 foot harness and wired everything up, I ran into a few problems at first. my injectors I had a loose contact, and on my crank I had a bad crimp. Both of those are fixed. I tested the injectors, and I get a crank reading.

So to the issue, with the generic diagram that is sent with the MS2, it states that pin 36 is spark output 1. And diyautotune states on their forum that pin 6 will be output 2. So that is how I wired it. T/O to spark 2/3 and BR to spark 1/4. Off the db37

At this point I did not think about needing an ignitor. And I'm still a little iffy on if I need one or not. Everything works , and reads fine. But I'm not getting any spark at all. I pulled every plug and tested them against the block, and I even blew them out and made sure that they weren't flooded. Then I tested my connections to the pack. And I'm not getting anything from the signal wires. Just the 12v power wire.

I did some research and found on the msextra manuals that the QuadSpark can be used to power a coil pack. I wired that up, ground the Quad spark, then the 2 spark outputs into the Quad spark and then the Quad spark to the coil pack, still nothing.

Then I pulled my ms2 apart and realized that I have the logic level upgrade. After a bit of research I learned that logic level is usually sent out of the DB15. I traced the wires down on the bottom of the board and figured out they were to pins 1-4 on the connector. I wired the connection on the back of my DB15 (my first time soldering something so small) plugged it in and I have one line with 5v signal out of 4.

I'm not sure if or what I'm suppose to get from a spark signal out of the board. And I'm so afraid of popping a resistor. I'm not sure if I'm just not wiring things right, or if I don't actually have the right outputs.

I've tested with tunerstudio set to wastedspark, on d14 And on js10.
I guess I'm not really sure where to start at rhw board to verify it's even built correctly. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
and you already looked over this?

i was able to find this stuff, i don't know if it''ll help. unfortunately the one showing the settings used with 420A/Neon mode and the VrIn circuit wasn't available.

Yeah, so that second diagram, with the stepper IAC, and the 2 spark outputs on pin 36 and 6, was the diagram I originally used. I have no outputs on those pins.
Diyautotune installed a logic output. I wasn't sure what type but I belive, according to mega manuals, it's a resistor type setup. But it doesn't use pad1, and it uses js11 and js10. It's strange. And they are all chained to the db15. I'm going to check my connections on my db15 plug later

i don't know if you caught this in that second link,,
For compatibility with the stock Chrysler ignition coil, we configure 420A/Neon MegaSquirt systems with two internal ignitors on the LED spark channels. Of course, the MS3X spark outputs could be used with external ignitors or non-OE "smart" coils.

i don't know much about all the internal setup shit on those. I do know you can get a jimstim and use it to get MS setup correctly without actually being on the car so you don't f*** anything up.

Yeah, I noticed that one. Unfortunately that post is by symtech labs, and like I said before, I've tested the 2 common spark outputs.

On this diagram(on the db37) it is pin 36 (brown) and pin 6 (tan/orange). I get absolutely nothing off of those.
As for symtech, I'm not sure how they install their logic level upgrade on the board so I don't know what pin outs those may be.

there are jumper wires running to db15 outputs. (Pins 1-4).
There is 2 black wires running to pin 1, from JS10 and a 5v pull-up.
There is a jumper from PAD3 to pin 2
There is a jumper from PAD2 to pin 3
And then there is a jumper to pin 4, ultimately coming from js11,

Pin 4 is what makes me think they used a resistor type logic set up. A wire runs from JS11 to a junction, with one ground input from PAD4 and the output to PIN4, and then a 5v pull-up on PAD5 to PIN4 as well.

The original pinouts for a standard coil pack are irrelevant now, I'm just trying to figure out what else might have the output

You might have gotten this all straightened out by now, but here's what I see:

FunctionInternal PinsConnector Pins
IAC controlJS0-JS3IACxx
12V for IAC controllerJS9 to S12CN/A
Barometric pressure sensorJS5N/A
Generic/tach output (5V pull-up)JS11 to pad 12DB15 pin 12
Generic input (active low, 5V pull-up)JS10 to pad 17DB15 pin 9
Spark CD15/pad 2 to pad 14DB15 pin 11
Spark BD16/pad 3 to pad 16DB15 pin 10
CANH (for expansion boards)JS6SPR1
CANL (for expansion boards)JS8SPR2

It looks like the VrOut circuit is active as your crank input circuit, which is fine.

So, to answer your original question, the spark outputs are on pins 10 and 11 of the DB15 connector. These are logic level outputs that need to be connected to an external ignition driver.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back