The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420A Timing Belt Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
I'm looking to replace the timing belt on my 420A soon, and I'm doing a stock build... but I'm not sure what belt to choose?

It seems like conventional wisdom is to use OEM, and while it looks like Mopar sites are still selling the OEM belt, I am not sure how old those would be... I have yet to find one on eBay newer than a 2008 manufacturing date. Does anybody know if they are still making OEM belts, and where to find a new one?

Otherwise, what's a good aftermarket belt people are having good luck with? I have read mixed reviews on Gates... What about Dayco or Bando?

I only need the belt. I have all of the other components already.

I've used Gates timing and serpentine belts on every vehicle I've ever owned (decided to do so after cheaper belts wore out too quickly). No reason to use the blue racing belt on a stock rebuild, I'd just use whichever one RockAuto or your parts store has that is good quality. I think the stock replacement by Gates is called "PowerGrip" which is what I'm currently using until next interval I'm getting the blue one.

Don't be afraid of the fairly cheap prices on the stock replacement belts. There's nothing fancy about them so they're not priced as if they're fancy.

But with that being said^, still be careful while browsing on Ebay. If it's hard to pronounce the "brand", don't buy it.

And I definitely would not use a belt from 2008. Even in an air sealed bag it will age quick once exposed to the elements

My next belt will be the HKS belt, they are pricey but very good quality, I am not sure if HKS offers a belt for the 420a engine though, I may do it this spring/summer actually which is way early, but now that I saw a recent thread with a failed Gates with no warning, it has me a little self conscious of the Gates thats been on there for several years even though the mileage is low on it.

My next belt will be the HKS belt, they are pricey but very good quality, I am not sure if HKS offers a belt for the 420a engine though, I may do it this spring/summer actually which is way early, but now that I saw a recent thread with a failed Gates with no warning, it has me a little self conscious of the Gates thats been on there for several years even though the mileage is low on it.
I don't think there is an HKS belt for the 420A unfortunately. I've never seen one. :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back