The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 420A Timing Belt Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlamingWeasel

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2002
California
Well, since I'm selling my car soon anyways, I'm planning on changing my own timing belt to gain some more experience. I was reading the VFAQ about changing the timing belt on non turbos and a few questions came up. First, do I really need to remove the cam sprockets, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley? It was my impression that if I removed the timing belt pulley I could simply slip the belt off and install the new belt. Also, it says something about removing and replacing the camshaft seal. Is that really important in a car that has 60k miles on it? When reading the vfaq it seems like there's a lot of taking off and installing of the above mentioned pulleys and sprockets but why I need to do this isn't made clear. Additionally, are there any other tools that I need besides a gear puller, torque wrench, sockets, and the like? Thanks for any help you could provide. I think this timing belt job could turn out to be pretty fun... I don't know, the town i live in is pretty boring...

your biggest problems will be taking off the crank sprocket(the one with the acc. belts) and getting enough clearance to remove the engine mount. The cam seals arent really nessesary to change unless you want to, besides your selling the car. You need to remove the hydrulic tensioner in order to remove the belt. Once you remove the hydrulic tensioner place it in a vice so that the shaft goes inside and using a small allen key insert it in the holes ( youll know what i mean when you have it out)
i can give you more info on how to do this email me
[email protected]
or if you are on line and so am i
chaye21

good luck

Hey I'm finishing up my water pump\timing belt job and my question is about my cam gears how do I make the line up.
Please post a new thread whenever you have new questions in the future.

But to answer you question you need to line up the two marks (one on each cam gear) by rotating each one. This must be done before tightening the belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back