The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a Snapped Timing Belt Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor360

Probationary Member
May 7, 2007
Kaysville, Utah
I'm more of a lurker, so consider this a newb thread.

Background story short, bought the car from dealer, original owner claimed they did the timing belt 10k before they traded it. Belt snapped while I had it 20k later. Bent some valves, good pistons. The damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. Otherwise the car is well maintained. Nothing after market other then a CAI I put on.

While it is in the shop getting head work, water pump, and new belts, I wondered if there is anything I could do while it's in pieces that may give it a little bump in performance head wise. I am not looking to make this car a racing machine, but I wouldn't mind having some toys on it. I am considering headers back when I get it back.

Any input? I don't want to spend tons of money but if it is a matter of like $500 then I would consider it. In the past with other vehicles I have found performance parts to be near the same price as OEM. Hoping this might also be the case.
Thanks!

Crower 2 cams, maybe a pocket port perhaps. Most of your other upgrades can easily be done anytime after the engine is installed.

edit: This would be a great time to replace the oil-pump, if thats not on your list yet.

Yeah I just called about the oil pump. I figured it was a good time to R&R it.
I thought cams would fit the bill. Any problems if I go turbo? I would like to find a good DD balance if I ever get the urge to move to boost.

If you think it may be some time before you add boost, or if you are unsure if you will actually boost it at all, the NA grind will probably be your best bet, IMO. A set of cam gears will make the NA cams more boost friendly later down the line when/if you do turbo you 420a.

if you are interested i do have a set of crane cams (turbo grind) and AEM tru-time cam gears (red). both are brand new 0 miles still in the box

i hear ya man it sucks. i bought my gs a month later timing belt snaped. bought a gst turbo blew in a week. changed the turbo and i bent a valve the next week

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back