The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Timing Belt Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadRS

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2003
New_JerseyUS
When doing a timing belt replacement do you guys recommend replacing the idler and tensioner bearings? what about the water pump?

If the answer is yes, I see kits with all those parts but they aren't Mitsubushi parts. Would it be ok to use one of those kits or is factory parts the way to go here?

Lastly, I have seen writeups on the Turbo motors but nothing on the 420A. Does anybody have a link to a do it yourself article?

Thanks

Yes. Replace everything you would have to change to get to the timing belt, or is behind the timing belt. This is not a job you want to do over and over because of cutting corners. You can get New parts or in most cases reman parts from parts houses. Use the best and you should have no problems. If yours has the auto tensioner, I highly recommend replacing that also. You are on the right track.

There's several articles in here on the 420a DSM's. If you can't find them, I know of at least a couple of guys who have modified the 420a engine.

Give Selmerguy a shout. He has one.
Good Luck

Thanks for the quick reply, and I'll see if Selmerguy can help me out with a write up.

You mention the auto tensioner. Am I correct in that I won't know which I have until I pull off the covers? I thought I read somewhere that they used different kinds and there is no way to tell until you get down to it.

Thanks

I think the autotensioner mentioned is the hydraulic tensioner? I've never really heard it called that, but sure, why not? :p

Let me break it down for you like this:

MUST:
-belt
-tensioner (hydraulic or mechanical)
-BOTH pullies

GOOD IDEAS:
-alternator belt
-AC/PS belt
-water pump
-oil pump

IF YOU CAN:
-UDP (you have to pull the stocker anyways)

BEFORE YOU START:
-Search this forum for a thread about motor mounts and look for the one where the guy is talking about getting the motor mount out on that side. We have the best technique documented for it now.
-Shop the Parts Dinosaur. Best prices and best service you can find. Don't worry too much about the parts being Mitsubishi or whatever. You have a Dodge engine anyways. It's a safe bet that, if the Dinosaur is carrying it, you can rely upon it.

Cool. I had been taught it was an auto tensioner as it automatically takes up any slack that the timing belt would cause by stretching. It does a great job and I've always liked them. They just get old and tired also.

Thanks for all the advise. I found the timing belt kit setup you were refering to. It includes the belt, both bearings, and the water pump. The only thing not included is the tensioner. Since it is recommended to change that as well how do you know which one is in there? I would like to have all the parts ready to go if possible, and ordering online is alot cheaper than going to the local dealer.

1BadRS said:
Thanks for all the advise. I found the timing belt kit setup you were refering to. It includes the belt, both bearings, and the water pump. The only thing not included is the tensioner. Since it is recommended to change that as well how do you know which one is in there? I would like to have all the parts ready to go if possible, and ordering online is alot cheaper than going to the local dealer.

You might call a Chrysler dealer and price it just to be sure. O'Reilly's was higher than the dealer on the last auto tensioner I priced.

You can probably take the 8th digit of your vin and call a dealer. They should be able to tell you if you have the hydraulic auto tensioner.

If not, wait till you tear it down and you will know for sure. It might cost you an extra day if you have one and no one has it and has to order it, but what's a day?

Good Luck

I work at autozone and I can tell you that the price for our Auto tensioner is 98.99 plus tax. I hope this can help you in finding the best price for the part!:thumb:
Andy

Yeah, you guys think I should switch over to the mechanical tensioner when doing the belt swap? Have any of you personally switched over?

I find it interesting in one "kit" he includes the water pump and no tensioner, and his other "kit" includes the tensioner and no water pump. I guess he can just add either one to his setups.

Thanks again for all the great info and links

I plan to when I replace my HG in February. It's one of those things you put in the back of your mind for the next time you have to pull the timing belt. No one wants to mess with timing unless they have to, then they consider this new tensioner. I know a couple people using it and even more planning on doing so.

Have no doubts about the Dinosaur. I have seen some people have parts the next morning. He takes a lot of pride in prompt delivery and quality service. I've even emailed him back and forth a couple times. A good guy.

Just in case there's any doubt, Brian is correct go with the dinosaur. Just rebuilt the 1g with his parts (though not HG, pistons for obvious reasons) and I am using him for the 97 420a rebuild coming real soon.
MB

Thanks again for all the useful info, this is a really good website. I did email him and he replied back in under 10 minutes. He also has a kit available with the mechanical tensioner and the waterpump all in one so thats the one I will most likely go with.

There you go. Just make absolutely sure you do a good and proper install. Let us know how it turned out. I love good reports.

Good Luck

*****DO NOT GET A GOODYEAR GATOR BACK TIMING BELT!!!*****

The one I bought snapped at 1800 miles... not enjoyable

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back