The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2gb motor and ECU with 2ga harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moi831

Probationary Member
Dec 26, 2016
Salinas, California
hey turners so I’ll start off by explaining what’s going...I have a 99 GST Spyder and decided I want to go hard top reason that my top keeps getting messed with so I purchased a 95 eagle talon which has no motor, no tranny, no ECU...I been reading info on the differences between a 2ga and 2gb...so my question is if I I could use my 99 motor and ecu with the 95 harness? What do I have to watch out for? Or do I have to change everything? Or should I just use the 99 harness?

Thanks for any help

Cam sensors are different between them, otherwise I don't believe there's much different, drivetrain-wise. You should be able to rewire the cam sensor to use the later style on the passenger side of the head, vs the early style under the cam gear.
I don't believe you'll have to change plug wire firing order.

If you have both harnesses, keep both so you can easily swap plugs if some are a different shape. ECU plugs should be the same.

Should be a pretty straight forward swap :thumb: I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me and add things I missed.

thanks ThunderChild just wanted to make sure. And keeping both harness was my plan anyways but I didn’t want to swap them out due to Clifford security system spliced into it and I don’t really want to mess with out but if I have to then I will...but I update the question for future DSMers

i believe the evap purge solenoid connector. is different.

the 99 has 2 pins that the 95 does NOT
pin 61 -- fuel tank differential pressure sensor
pin 55 -- evap ventilation solenoid

the 95 has
pin 52 -- ignition timing adjustment connector
the 99 does NOT

basically the 99 has a few emission things that the 95 doesn't. Probably because of stricter emissions standards. I know that in Cali, they are assholes about just about modding cars and emissions so you might run into issues if your running the 99 ECU. You would most likely get a CEL and/or not complete all the drive cycles (Readiness Monitors).
The 99 has the evap vent solenoid and fuel tank differential sensor which are only for the OBD2 system to check for leaks in the evap system.

Furthermore, an EVAP ventilation solenoid is located
between the EVAP canister and the atmosphere
in order to carry out OBD-II EVAP leak monitoring.
This solenoid is normally off, but turns on during
OBD-II EVAP leak monitoring to shut off the flow
of air into the EVAP canister from the atmosphere.​

So you would probably want to use a different ECU. a 97 ECU (part# MD335287) would probably work best.
the 95 and 97 have the same evap emissions setup. the 97 also uses the same cam sensor as the 99 so you wouldnt have to f*** with the firing order or anything like that.

Maybe somebody else knows of a better way, but as far as i know, using a 97 ECU would be the simplest way.

basically the 99 has a few emission things that the 95 doesn't. Probably because of stricter emissions standards. I know that in Cali, they are assholes about just about modding cars and emissions so you might run into issues if your running the 99 ECU. You would most likely get a CEL and/or not complete all the drive cycles (Readiness Monitors).
The 99 has the evap vent solenoid and fuel tank differential sensor which are only for the OBD2 system to check for leaks in the evap system.

Furthermore, an EVAP ventilation solenoid is located
between the EVAP canister and the atmosphere
in order to carry out OBD-II EVAP leak monitoring.
This solenoid is normally off, but turns on during
OBD-II EVAP leak monitoring to shut off the flow
of air into the EVAP canister from the atmosphere.​

So you would probably want to use a different ECU. a 97 ECU (part# MD335287) would probably work best.
the 95 and 97 have the same evap emissions setup. the 97 also uses the same cam sensor as the 99 so you wouldnt have to f*** with the firing order or anything like that.

Maybe somebody else knows of a better way, but as far as i know, using a 97 ECU would be the simplest way.

But if I go with a 97 ecu the 95 harness still won’t have the evap solenoid not the fuel tank diff. Sensor?

on 4g63 cars, only 98 and 99s have the evap vent solenoid and fuel tank press. diff. sensor.

4g64 spyders had it in 97 but not the turbo cars
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

you can get everything hooked up and running with the 99 ECU. Once you have that done, if you need to run a 97 ECU, just swap out the ECUs.

Well I found a 97 ecu...I do live in Cali and I will have to get it registered and smogged as soon as I get it started

So just an update on what’s going on..I decided to just go with the 99 harness because the 95 harness was missing the clips to all the connectors where missing

and differences that I found and that dusty bones pointed out on both harnesses

1) CAS connector is different and in opposite locations...the fix is just to cut and connect same wires

2) evap vent solenoid is also different... the fix is to also just connect the same wires

3) 99 harness has the horn connector because horn is on the fire wall and the 95 horn is next to the Intercooler so the horn is connected separately

4) Relays by the stereo( can’t remember what they are for) are different between the 95-96 and 97-99 l... fix is just use the Relay connected to that harness they will mount to same location

5) wiper connector is longer on the 99 harness but uses same connector...bad part is the excess wiring is just hanging there unless you short it a bit

6) last thing I noticed is the 99 harness has a 5 pin connector under the driver seat (NOT THE O2 CONNECTOR) which I don’t know where it goes to...the 95 harness does not have this connector but didn't seem to bother the engine when I turned it on

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back