The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2g turbo Compression Test results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blk95gs

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2002
Havre De Grace, Maryland
Hey all,

I performed my first compression test yesterday afternoon on my 95 TSi AWD w/ 125k miles with a friend of mine who has likely done this a million times. I wanted to ask a quick question about this.

Everyone I have ever talked to says that a 15psi variance between 2 cylinders could be a sign of a problem. We didn't do a wet test (where you put a capful of oil in the cyl and retest it) but the normal test showed the following numbers:

Testing from left to right... 180-185-170-175.

All of the plugs looked fine, none were fouled or anything like that. Now for the question I had.

I saw the 15psi between 2 cylinders, but my friend (who is one of the smartest people I've ever met) said that the 15psi would be determined if the optimal compression on the car would be 150psi/cylinder. So for engines that have higher optimal numbers, I would assume that the margin between 2 cylinders would be greater? 15psi is 10% of 150, so 10% of 178 (stock comp ratio on 2g 4g63-t) is obviously 17.8psi.

Is that assumption valid? I tried searching but really can't pinpoint an exact answer to this. I feel like the test shows very good numbers for a car of this age and mileage.

That's what I had figured. It just almost seems too good...you know what I mean? The previous owner tested it about 8 or 9 months ago (I bought it in Sept.) and said that he got the EXACT same numbers, but I wanted to test it for piece of mind.

I must be an idiot for selling it then. :(

Blk95gs said:
That's what I had figured. It just almost seems too good...you know what I mean? The previous owner tested it about 8 or 9 months ago (I bought it in Sept.) and said that he got the EXACT same numbers, but I wanted to test it for piece of mind.

I must be an idiot for selling it then. :(

Perhaps you are, perhaps you aren't. Either way, sell it to me :)

The one cylinder that was 8psi lower had some oil on the plug. It was on the threads, and it was slightly more loose than the other 4, must have been my error upon installing. Wonder if some seepage from the spark plug gaskets (that go on the valve cover, just replaced them) got down there or something like that? I wasn't too worried about it because like I said, the tip of the plug looked fine. I re-tightened the valve cover bolts so I think that should take care of that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back