The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Compression Test Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
Changed spark plugs, figured what the hell and did a compression test.
Got (cylinder 1-4): 135, 120, 120, 135. Had no oil nearby and felt lazy so I didn't check to see if it was piston seals (doh!). Note that standard should be 178 psi, and service limit is 133 psi.
Another thing I noticed was if I revved it to about 5000 or so there would be a puff of black smoke coming out the front of the block near the general headgasket area ( :( ), although luckily there hasn't been any oil in my coolant.
I'm just getting ready to really start modding (evo 16g December or Jan) and was wondering how bad this really is, and if I should even be thinking about a turbo upgrade with these numbers.

was it warmed up before the compression test? Did you hold the throttle open while doing it?

if you got those numbers and you did everything via the vfaq then i would look into a rebuild or a slight build up doing the pistions, rings, bearing, ect...

what is the milage on the car? do u know if the previous owner had any mods done to it and if it was raced / driven hard?

i would look into fixing your compression before you start modding or else your looking at a world of heacaches.

I actually had my friend crank it while I was in the engine bay, and I actually don't think he even touched the gas pedal..looks like I'll be doing another one LOL.

What about the smoke from the headgasket area? I was assuming that was significant.

HA thank god, redid the test and got 155-160-160-160

Hmmmm not to highjack a thread or anything but I just did mine too and I came up with 175-180-180-178. Mine just must be more carboned up than yours around the rings. Did you do a leak down test. That will tell you if you've got a headgasket problem or not.

Haven't done a leakdown test, and don't have the equipment to do it :(
Still no oil in the coolant though *knock on wood*

Either way..I think I'm more or less ok to mod now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back