The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Mod to properly torque your rear Diff bolts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overview:

I created this simple yet effective Mod to effectively torque your rear differential bolts properly while maintaining a stock appearance. And if you are like me, I like to remove and clean up the bolts, bake them with solid film lubricant and put anti-seize on the bushing shaft to guarantee a rust free part.

Tools Required:
• Air or electric drill
• 2" metal hole cutter.
• Nylon tape measure (just a flexible measure to lay on the contours for proper measurement)
• A small drill bit.

Parts:
• 2 trailing arm dust covers or 2 trunk drain covers, they are the same.

Proper Safety Precautions:

Wear eye protection when cutting any metal.
Wear hearing protection when using electrical drills, air tools etc.
Wear gloves to prevent metal shaving from injuring your hands or getting cut by any sharp edge.

Steps:

Please refer to the first picture for the reference point, which is the point where you will begin to measure.
• Find the double white tabs then Begin measuring at the bottom corner (shown in pic) then down 8.5 inches. Mark it.
• At the mark go LEFT ½ inch then mark. This will be your first hole. (do not cut yet)
• Now from the first lower vertical mark measure 7 inches to the right and make your next cutting mark.
Do Not start off by cutting with the 2" hole cutter, instead start with a small drill bit ensure you are aligned with the differential bolts.

Once you have ensured your small holes are lined up with the bolt head Go ahead and cut the "Big" holes out. (they don't have to be perfect, that's why we are using the 2" dust covers)

I chose the 2" covers because it allows for any cutting misalignments and for inserting your socket, extension and torque wrench. the ones I used are shown in the second picture, just go to the junkyard and source another pair.

Additional info: Rear diff bolt torque-53 Ft.lbs. X run on torque-approx 10-12 in.lbs = 54/55 Ft.lbs of torque as final value.

This will aid in removing the rear diff. Now you wont have to lower your subframe, although it is possible to remove your subframe w/o removing your bolts but the bolts will stay in place and you wont be able to properly torque them, let alone the hard dangling process of removing your rear diff w/o removing your bolts.

Attachments

• IMAG0815.jpg
    IMAG0815.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 905
  • IMAG0819.jpg
    IMAG0819.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG0825.jpg
    IMAG0825.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back