The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g Head Build - Where do I start & what do to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GofaST4life

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Medina 44256, Ohio
Whats up guys.

I recently picked up a complete, partially torn down 2g head for an absolute steal of a price.

My idea was to do a stock and or mild build in my spare time. I have never worked on something like this before, so im very excited to get my hands dirty in some actual engine/head building.

Some of my initial questions:
1. Before I even start to work on it, is there anything I should do/check/measure?
2. Is there a specific cleaner I should use to do an initial clean of the head? Or would a strong degreaser like Simple Green or Purple Power be okay?
3. Keeping the stock and/or mild build idea, what stock parts should I reuse, what parts should I look at upgrading?
4. Is there a "Write Up" or suggested build path for something like this?

Please keep in mind, I don't want to go big/expensive and I would like to do all the work myself.

What suggestions do you guys have.

Some of my initial questions:
1. Before I even start to work on it, is there anything I should do/check/measure?

There is really nothing you can do here. You need to take it to a machine shop to get it checked and machined if needed for straightness of the bottom of the head and pressure check it for leaking valves.

2. Is there a specific cleaner I should use to do an initial clean of the head? Or would a strong degreaser like Simple Green or Purple Power be okay?

The machine shop will clean the head for you while machining it.

3. Keeping the stock and/or mild build idea, what stock parts should I reuse, what parts should I look at upgrading?

With a used head it is always a good idea to replace the springs due to age. There are lots of inexpensive aftermarket options out there the machine shop would be willing to install during reassembly I am sure. It would be a good idea to upgrade the lifters to the 3mm port ones and have a valve job done on the head.

4. Is there a "Write Up" or suggested build path for something like this?

Every car is different and it depends on your individual goals and what you want to do with the cars.

Please keep in mind, I don't want to go big/expensive and I would like to do all the work myself.

To do it right and make sure everything is in good shape this really isn't much of a possibility unless you have the proper equipment. Getting the head machined and checked can be under $100 and you can install the springs yourself if no valve work is needed.

What suggestions do you guys have.

With something like a cylinder head that has such specific clearances, this is something you want a professional to check.

I WOULD AGREE WITH 95blackGsTurbo TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE THEM MEASURE AND CRACK CHECK IT I WOULD HAVE THE SHOP CHECK FOR ANY BAD GUIDES IF NONE OF THEM ARE BAD THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE WHATEVER VALVE YOU WANT AS FAR AS THE SEALS I WOULD SAY A SET OF VITON AND AS FOR SPRINGS THAT DEPENDS ON WHAT CAMS YOU PLAN ON RUNNING AND I WOULD ALWAYS SAY A GOOD PORT AND POLISH JOB TO HELP WITH POWER AND PERFORMANCE.

BogusSVO, yes the head came with the cam caps. It was complete with minor disassemble.

THANK YOU guys for the links and information.

Ill be sure to keep this thread updated as the build starts.

If the valves and springs are still installed in the head, first thing to do is fluid test the head.
This will give you a quick way to tell if the valves are bent, or if the head is severely warped.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back